Trying out my new Canon!

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Pontoon, Aug 9, 2017.

1. I finally bit the bullet and spent a few bucks on a nice camera. A Canon Eos with a coupla different lenses.
    Here's a coupla shots of a soon to be harvested basement grow.
    20170809001221_IMG_0194.JPG 20170809001012_IMG_0188.JPG 20170809001436_IMG_0197.JPG
    One for fun...
    20170621192226_IMG_0039.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. Nice shots. How are you liking your new dslr?

3. Thank you!
    Very much! It's very user friendly.

4. Looks good, if you shoot in raw you can change the white balance color temp in Canon's Digital Photo Professional to 2700k for hps, that should get rid of the yellow tint.

5. First three photos ,,,,, white balance is off ….. Looks like tungsten lighting …
    Seen some of your other photos and they look great , you most likely have figured out how to set your white balance properly even thou it can be a giant learning curve .
    10 dollar white balance/18% gray card , then set for custom white balance .
    Are you on a tripod , have you ever shot tethered ?
    Do you have a speed lite ?

6. Those buds! Digging the clearness of those photos.

7. Grab a tripod, go out after dark and play around with timed exposure.
    This was a 30 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

This one was hand held out the car window. I think it may have been about 15 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

It can be a lot of fun when you have a camera that allows you to control the settings.
    I had a Canon Rebel 35mm for years, so the transition to the digital Rebel was a snap.

• Like Like x 2
  8. He's right about the tripod

DSC_0629.jpg

Be careful. DSLR's are a huge money pit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wow, those pictures look great! The one at night with the 3 towers I think is my favorite so far. How much was the camera? If you don’t mind me asking.....

I was thinking about getting a DSLR eventually. I love taking pictures.

10. Well, I'm a has been. I don't get to do much anymore. My daughter commandeered my equipment and did her own thing. When it wore out she upgraded.

I don't really know what it would cost now days, but 15 or so years ago I got a digital Rebel on ebay for about $800. It came with 2 cheapo kit lenses, a couple batteries, memory cards, and a few odd accessories.
    Good lenses start at about $600. I used to think that a photo can only be as good as the glass the camera can see through. Then I discovered Photoshop.
    It's not a hobby for the poor. But on the other hand, you don't need the biggest and bestest to have fun. People seem to be enjoying phone cameras, and while they are getting pretty amazing, for what they are, they still have a ways to go to compare with a middle of the road DSLR.
    There are some camera shops, if you can find them, that rent cameras. It would be a good way to check out some equipment and get an idea of what you'd like on your wish list, measured against what you can afford to do right now.

My advice is to use the hell out of whatever you got until you outgrow it. Then you have some idea of what you want to shop for. When you come to a place in your hobby where you know what you want to do, but your current equipment doesn't have the capability, then you have a reason to go shopping with a purpose in mind.
    Read some magazine articles. Listen to conversations. Look at other peoples art and find out how they did that. Take their knowledge to the next step and put your own heart into it.

Then there are college classes. I got into event photography and videography. I recruited my daughter to be my helper. She was my "B" camera most of the time. Sometimes a second video camera, and other times she's shooting stills while I video. I recruited her when she was 13. Soon as she was old enough to get into community collage we got her into photography classes. She only took 2 classes, but she really got a lot out of it. Later she would start her own portrait studio and actually did quite well. Well enough to finish wearing out my cameras and replace just about everything with upgrades. She's in a 4 year dental school now so taking pictures sorta went to the back of the line due to time restraints.

Anyways, after all this, my point is, I guess, you don't have to pay for more camera than you can use. You can do an awful lot with a Kodak with a fixed lens. Combine that with one of the many editing software programs and your $300-$400 DSLR may just keep you entertained till you wear it out. Also, focus on framing your shot in a way that will lure other people to see what you saw at the moment you took the shot. It's your rendition/interpretation and your art is accomplished when you can get other people to see the world through YOUR lens. That trumps all the expensive fancy equipment in the world.
    Have fun!

11. #11 Zeke_M, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    If the Canon has a motor in the body you can use old school lenses. If you know what to look for there is a lot of cool glass out there at low prices.
    I like the old lenses. I have several.
    1529512136507.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. One of my favorite 'cheapies' is a metal 1.8f 50mm prime. (ebay purchase)
    You're right about that, when you can find that older glass in good shape they're just about as good as an L lens.
    I wish there was more Olympus glass available.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Used Olympus?
    Knock yourself out: https://www.keh.com/shop/olympus.html?dir=desc&order=price