Trying not to trim or tip, but is this a time to do it?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Shtubba, Jul 1, 2012.

1. First grow. Indica bagseed. 30th day of veg. I've read up on the trim/don't trim debate and have not done so yet. I have 2 plants, both vertically challenged (only 8" each) but quite bushy with big, never-ending fan leaves. Plant 1, I've been able to just fold and the undergrowth has risen up nicely. Plant 2, however, the stems just aren't long enough to fold sufficiently. I'm wondering if I should trim or at least tip the fan leaves to allow the undergrowth a chance? The leaves are so big that the ones from the first 3 nodes are just about laying in the soil.

I planned on flipping to flower tomorrow and it's my understanding that it would be better to trim/tip before flower, correct?

So, trim, tip or leave her be?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Im no expert but i have heard you want to trim all places not receiving direct light in flower so you dont have a bunch of little popcorn nugs. Thats what i did at least working pretty good so far but like i said by no means an expert.

3. I would say it to early to flower them ... cant really see how tall it is ....
    Would like to see it a bit bigger... my plants are still small but they seem to be turning out like yours .... Is that a pure indica ?

4. It's bagseed from what I was told was an Indica dominant strain. Great couchlock. There's no doubt it's heavy on the Indica, but pure, don't know.
    I think you are right, and I'll let them veg at least a couple of more days. They're only 8 inches, but have gained 2 the last 2 days. I think they were getting too much light (4x23w 6500k per plant) plus 2x23w 5000k for side growth. I've moved the bulbs from 2 inches to 4 inches away, and they're getting taller finally. I don't want very big plants (2 feet max) so maybe I'll let them get to a foot before I switch. I've topped them just once.

But back to my original ? Think I should trim or tip the bottom fan leaves? There's a lot of beautiful undergrowth dieing to get out from under the canopy, but I'd hate to sap her of the energy those leaves provide if I didn't have to.

5. tip it over and a dozen buds will pop up.

Read up on LST.

Only way to go, IMHO

6. Lst bro you gotta try to get the branches tied to the surface ... it seems pretty hard to do though ... your plant is too short as it is ... LST is basically training the plant topping/tilting and whatnot.. you shouldnt top but try tilting them to the soil ... good luck .. Iwould veg it for another month or so... whats the rush.. nice buds need time ...

7. Top it one time for lots of finger size buds or don't and grow one big bud. Either way clean up the underside stem growth but not the fan leaves, anything that is more than 5 nodes from a tip can go.

8. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely going LST next time. I'm afraid with this plant, I'm about a week or so too late. The stem is just too thick and short that she'll snap. I cleaned up some of the underside growth and she shot up another 1/2 inch overnight. Gonna keep in veg at least another week and see where we are. I've a feeling this is gonna be a huge growth week.

CannaSmoke, I hear ya bro. If I had the time and space, I'd let them go long. I've gotta keep both plants at about 2.5 feet max due to space limits. Plus, I'm moving Oct 1 to my new home, so I want to try and harvest before, but not prematurely. This has been a great learning experience (didn't know jack shit a month ago). I realize I'm not gonna get a big yield this time, and still tons to learn. I'm already planning a nice grow room at the new digs! Time and space won't be an issue.

9. Don't trim anything. When you switch to flower, she will stretch in a good way and you'll be amazed at how it all worked out.

I'd put another CFL on the other side of the one you have on it if you can. The reflective material around your plants only does so much.

10. Good to know, thanks man.
    I curently have 3 side bulbs - 1 in the middle lighting both plants and then 1 on the other side of each.

For flower, I have 10x 42w 2700k bulbs for 2 plants ready to go. Can always add if need be.

Right now, I'm using 23w bulbs and keep those babies close to the plants. (2-4") Will the 42w be hotter and require a little more distance?

11. The 42w will be hotter but they will be much better for growing because they will give off more lumens. Just pop them in the socket and hold your hand above the plant. If your hand feels too warm then move it another inch away until you can pretty much keep your hand there indefinitely.