try again

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jacKc87, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Well I managed to kill ma first 5 babies before they managed to germinate somehow... (Think I drowned them to be fair) now have 3 left unfortunatly there a mix and not all chronic. Fingers crossed I won't kill these ones. Currently have them soaking in a glass gunna use paper towel method this time just really hoping they survive.
    Going to be using rockwool cubes as have an aero system for later.
    Can those with experiance with rockwool give me a few tips really need these to survive and thrive...
    Thanks in advance

2. I don't soak my seeds at all I never have I simply use the paper towel method and the container ontop of my cable box and make sure it doesn't dry out. Then usually a day or 2 later ill have some decent taproots (quarter inch) and place root down about an inch down into the rockwool. And oh yea I nearly forgot I let my rockwool sit in water for about a day then I shake it dry before putting seeds in.

3. If you think you drowned them the first time why try the exact same thing again? Just go right to paper towels

4. Last time I didn't pre germinate in water and then a towel I soaked rockwool cubes and had them sat in water and went ahead n planted. The seeds split but never made the surface.
    This time I'm hoping and praying for results.
    Would you say its safer leaving them in a paper towel rather than soaking first then? Or am I doing right?

5. #5 baumeister, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
    Im no hydro grower, for germination I soak in water for 24 hours and then plant into peat pellets. paper towel seems rather stupid to me as it involves unnecessary risk of mechanical damage, germination rates in peat are awesome and I could imagine some paper towels containing chemicals that would be harmful to sprouts - whatever theyre bleached with, some residual acid or base or whatever. there are definitly enough reports of paper towel method failing, while some people report that it never fails... I would assume that some brands of paper towel are fine, while others may not be.
    again Im no hydro grower, but I think Ive picked up a couple of times that youre supposed to soak and wash rockwool with pH'd water before using it.

6. Thanks for input pal any experiance tips is good as I'm proper newbie and don't wanna lose another set.
    I'm currently soaking my rockwool in tapwater that's been stood for 24 hrs.
    My last attempt was the same but ph of between 5.5 + 6.0
    Currently not altering the ph this time

7. 5.5-6 I believe is the proper range for hydro. what pH is your tap water at?

8. Think its closer to 6.5 or even 7 but unsure using a liquid n chart test set atm. Need a digital one plan to soon.

I am trying to save the old seeds they all cracked but roots wrapped the seeds n thers black on them. Have them in New rockwool smaller size a lot closer to survace under lights. Just incase they still pop. They wer flooded previous and didn't pop after a week so doupt they will but still trying lol

9. i second avoiding the paper towel. Plant evolved for over 30,000 years and it wasn't thanks to a paper towel lol. I had best results using a 5050 vermicompost/sphagnum peat soil but a vermicompost based seed soil with other things like perlite or pumice works too. Such as black gold seed starting soil or foxfarms light warrior seed starting soil, both containing earthworm compost to increase germination percentages.

10. Will look into getting a soil mix if I fail again with rockwool. Thanks for the advice
    Will plant the seeds in 24 hrs straight from the water.
    Also the cubes I'm startin in is like 1x1" so do I leave this wet or still squeeze excess water before planting?

11. Now also using a 125 CFL to seed n veg as temps wer to high using 400 hps. How low can a CFL be to the crop without harming it?

12. depends on the ventilation... I got a 125w CFL with hood about 2-3 inches above my plants, but thats pretty fuckin hot. I used to advise to point a fan right at the lamp, but with that 125w bulb Ive clearly observed that its much brighter when its hot, so cooling it down is counterproductive. now I just have a PC fan blowing kinda from the side and underneath. I would try cutting holes in the hood and putting the fan on top to suck off the heat, but I got no powertools and Im pretty lazy, so Im just gonna let my plants get burnt a little :p
    theyre definitly growing better now than they were with 2 23w CFLs at a safe temperature.

13. I , on the other hand have had great success with paper towel method.

I very gently fold the seed in the moist towel, put the towel with seed in a plastic bag. Then close the bag, seed and towel into a box and set it someplace warm and dark. After a few days I have a nice long white taproot. Handle with care putting it taproot facing down in the soil and shouldn't have problems.

It also helps to make sure the seed you are planting is viable by seeing if it sinks in a glass of water. Those that float are garbage.

I generally avoid all of this mess by using clones instead of seeds.

14. Thanks pal will put it down closer once they've popped. Currently have them on paper towel have just taken them out of the water after 18 hrs one already has a root just waiting on the other two. Once these are in rockwool do you advise them going straight under the light in a lidded container?

15. So far so good with paper towel 1 has a taproot small at prob 4ml and waiting for other two. I think next time I will make clones am I right in believing it has to be in veg to clone and not flowering. And does it matter how long they have been vegging for as going to be using scrog to maximise yeild and limit height as only have 30" grow space below lamp