Trust the digital meter or the ph strips? Off by 1.0....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Tommatt, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Ok, so I got a new Ph Meter Amazon.com: HM Digital Meters Waterproof pH/Temperature Meter: Health & Personal Care, and I used it in my DWC resevoir. I read about 6.06 or so. Took a sample from the bottom. It read 6.07 or so also on the digital meter.

On my PH strips, its reading closer to 5.0 Very orange, some yellow that turns into a slight green. Its looking like 5.0

I tried 3 strips, one soaking for 15 seconds, one just dunk in and out then sat for 15 seconds, one in for 3 out for 12. They were all around the 5 range.

But the Ph meter says 6.1

I'm going out of town in about 12 hours for 4 days....
    I just put in brand new nutes and brand new water 24 hours ago. Been slowly adjustming my nutrient level while having a gallon of water with the right amount just slowly to keep it up. Although if it drops below its no big deal, total water level is another issue. 4 days, it'll get looked at on day 2 or 3 by someone, 6 gallons kept in 21 gallon tank.

Sorry for posting in 2 sections, hydro and absolute beginners, but I need people to see this to try to see on which one to go on.

2. Did you calibrate the meter?

3. It was supposed to be auto calibrated. Without a perfect meter how am I to get perfect 4, 7 , or 10? I would think I'd trust the factory when it came to calibratrion.

4. I think you need to get some calibration solution then follow the intructions on how to calibrate it, when in calibration mode it will automaticly calibrate itself to the sample solution. When it says auto calibrated that means when in the calibration solution you dont have to manualy adjust it to match the solution it does it automaticly. My digital meter I use a two point calibration method using 7.01 solution first then when the little hour glass goes away it says 4.01 then I put it in the 4.01 solution untill the hour glass goes away then its automaticly calibrated. I usualy our just enough of each solution into a shot glass to where the probe is submersed, it doesnt take alot of solution.

5. Yes you need to cal. it.
    I save my cal. solution in specimen cups taken from the E.R.'s bathroom.
    I also check it 1st every time I turn it on, don't need to, but I have had the one time
    bad experience of it malfunctioning on me & loosing calibration.
    And don't forget storage solution.
    Best Regards,
    S.S.