True silence

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by figarofigaro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Do you think its possible to ever experience true silence?

Not even a cricket, or the wind rustling.

2. Isolation chamber with noise canceling headphones

:)

3. There has been seldom few moments in my life when I have experienced complete silence but I often find it is accompanied by a fealing of uneasiness.. I thouroughly enjoy 'white noise'.. I sleep with a fan everynight.. I always have music playing while awake if possible and I always engage in conversation to avoid complete silence.. Maybe it's just me but silence is only good for very brief amounts of time.. :smoke:

4. Can't say I've ever been in complete silence...underwater is close, in a pool by yourself. We live out in the country, woods, so although it's never completely silent, it's pretty quiet. I like it.

5. impossible for me since my left ear is constantly ringing.

6. #6 tHe LoNLy StOnR, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    OP, you're probably refering to the silence of the constant mental clatter, right? And if it's so then I only received freedom from the mental racket by taking Ritalin; the first time I popped one of those pills I was engulfed in a beautiful silence. I was overcome with clarity and understanding, and I hope to achieve that state of mental focus some day without using any kind of supplements.

7. #7 Meursault, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    I forget what country, but somewhere in the EU there was a studio made (for some physics experiments or some shit) specifically to be completely silent, meaning that not even echoes travel through the room. An isolation chamber or using headphones is one thing, but cancelling out echoes in a room that you can actually move around in is a whole 'nother level. Apparently this really fucks with the brain, and it is incredibly hard/unpleasant to stay in the room for more than 20 minutes at a time or so. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

8. Never heard of that before, but I can immagine it would screw with a person. Same with cutting out visual stimulus. Your brain will eventually makes its own, therefore deeming you crazy. Makes you wonder what is real or not if were that sensitive to external stimulus. Or rather the lack of external stimulus.

9. I heard about it on Radio Lab one time. Here's a short article:

The Sound of Silence – The Frontal Cortex

10. would be dope to have access to an isolation chamber or something, pretty sure I would trip out though or something. Feel like my mind would begin generating noises or visuals due to the sudden extreme absence of them.

11. [quote name='"Meursault"']I forget what country, but somewhere in the EU there was a studio made (for some physics experiments or some shit) specifically to be completely silent, meaning that not even echoes travel through the room. An isolation chamber or using headphones is one thing, but cancelling out echoes in a room that you can actually move around in is a whole 'nother level. Apparently this really fucks with the brain, and it is incredibly hard/unpleasant to stay in the room for more than 20 minutes at a time or so. Anyone know what I'm talking about?[/quote]

I've read about that, I believe people couldn't stand to be down there longer than 11 or 12 min. Something along those lines lol.

12. Create a room, suspended by magnets, within another room.

The gap in between both rooms is a vacuum, so waves cannot travel (sound).

The room itself is an anechoic chamber with nothing else inside.

^ that should be the closest we can get to complete silence right?

13. Would you have to be in the space between the two rooms or in the inner room?

14. In the inner room so no outside noise would come in.

If you were in the gap it would kill you without a pressure suite.

Of course, your body still makes a lot of noise, and being in an anechoic chamber with no ambient noise whatsoever it would be pretty audible....

15. In the thread I linked people were sayin your heartbeat would be an extremely loud pounding

16. 6th grade, stepped out to go to the bathroom in between morning recess and lunch, on my way back to my classroom while walking across the blacktop i realized how quiet it was and stopped for a minute to take it in, never experienced that kind of quiet before and havent since. even when it could be that quiet theres a ringing in my ears or my own thoughts to break the silence

17. Have you guys ever heard of earplugs?lol

18. I imagine it'll be like your ears would start ringing and feel like their popping trying to hear anything. Hurts my head thinking about it