True Living Organic Soil - a la Rolanterroy

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ElDiablo, Mar 9, 2010.

1. hey there,

i was hoping someone could answer some questions about the TLO soil mix as getting in contact with the rev seems like an easy feat to everyone but me lol...

i read his article in skunk but there were some open ends iv been trying to tie up..

he says you dont want the mix too hot which is why he cuts FFOF is half with compost, but then he says to ammend that mix with some nutes..

is that recipe you posted ONLY for recycling spent soil at the end of a grow or do you add that to a fresh 50/50 mix of FFOF/compost?

if its only for the spent mix, do you know how much i should be adding (if any at all) to the fresh mix?

i was thinking maybe just some light stuff like rock phos, greensand, glacial rock, kelp and maybe a pinch of blood..

and would i follow the box/bag doses or would this be too hot?

i know organics isnt an exact science and if i cook it long enough it shouldnt matter, but this is for a grow that iv dumped a decent amount of time and money in and i want it to go as smoothly as possible..

any help would be VERY appreciated..

thanks in advance,
    peace!

2. Hi there folks, by no means am I an expert but here is my explanation:

this white fungus gathering inside your pots around your soil clumps is caused by a lack of aeration (ie sand, perlite, or other amendments with aerating qualities like cocoa shells, oyster shells, pumice etc.) and to my knowledge, it's not harmful and should be just fine indoors. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF WRONG

so my recommendation is:

#1 take the pots in question and empty them out into a rubbermaid container.
    #2 Mix in a bunch of sand, perlite, and pumice.

I would also add if available redwood bark or some sort of fine mulch, sawdust, or rice hulls for added carbon to balance out the moisture that the fungus is feeding off. (I use all of the above in my mixes and am constantly trying to find new sources of organic material to add) I highly recommend everyone does the same thing. dif sources of organic material can be found in everywhere as by-products of farms and orchards. obviously dont use shit that isnt organic or has been sprayed or treated or otherwise fucked with. just talk to people and you'll quickly find that most of these wonderful things are thrown away.

#3 then just put this new aerated mix back into your pots and add water once again :) ta da

I read everything i can find that the rev wrote, but he never stressed the issue of aeration as heavily as it needed to be stressed i think. especially for hot mixes. Sand should be in everything in my opinion.

Hope this helps everybody :) I'm so glad to see people catching on. soon, you will be growing some of the greatest cannabis the world has to offer.:smoke:

3. I can assure you, I already am. :bongin: ;)

4. isnt it great to have a source of water and a source of organic matter to feed your plants :) Sucks for morocco though

5. Wow, two new posters posting in a year old thread, how odd.....

6. I like odd. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8KuqXhTVFc]THE ADAMS FAMILY BROADWAY MUSICAL ON DAVID LETTERMAN - YouTube[/ame]

7. Read the whole thread and count the first time posters all talking rev talk. I think he is stalking Lumpers, lol........MIW

8. Sock puppets for the revs new book. How long has it been coming out now? :D

I must say his two latest fans to post here have been, err, entertaining. :bolt: :hide:

9. I see a lot of people trying to figure this shit out and no one being able to help them. silliest part, sand is the thing they're missing.

the rev left out a lot of explaining. it's pretty hard to summarize all that info in a few magazine articles. a general understanding about bacteria and fungus is required to make all this work. i think it's cool to see new people interested and growing. don't shun them and make them feel stupid. encourage them and show them the way. you guys are the experienced ones, aren't you?

10. Can't speak for anyone else but I'm pretty confident that I can read the label on a gardening product and I can smell a turd at 10 paces.

Are those skills helpful for running Da Rev's magical dirt?

Just curious - as usual.

LD

11. Make them feel smart for buying shit they don't need? Now there's an original thought.

12. i picked up a skunk about 6 months ago. that's when i first found out there was a name for what style of growing i was already trying to accomplish. and if you buy any one of these amendments, you get to use it for a lot of applications 50lb bags etc. better than paying out the ass for salt

13. #33 WeeDroid, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    You can grow organically, truly organically, for a lot less in cost than anything skunk has to recomend.

Personally I'm getting real tired of all the ads for Skunk magazine. Why don't you folks shut up and stop trying to shove your fucking magazine down our throats.

Go advertise elsewhere.

If you are going to come here, why don't you lurk and read the knowledge that is offered here?

Unless of course you're trying to sell us something.

uh, you know you are in an organics forum, yeah? We don't buy salt fertilizers in an organics forum. Again, stop treating us like idiots. It just makes you sound really stupid.

fucking kids, sheesh ...

14. Whatever happened to the (in)famous Moonshine Mix? Did that fall out of favor?

That's always been my favorite soil mix! Go big or go home!

LD

15. i dont work for anybody dude. i live in nor cal and help people for a living. you think i like the media? i hate every single aspect of the media. if i could, i'd abolish them completely from my life. however, i'm trying to buy seeds. i picked up that skunk because ht and weed world are no less than 50% ads and offer bullshit after bullshit article about how i should force feed my plants salts. know any other magazines i can get at a booze store that won't give me bullshit besides Treating Yourself? i'm fuckin bored as shit tryin to buy seeds, of course i'm gonna buy the only other mag on the rack. then i saw that this wierd fucking dude that no one knows named the rev is already doing the method of growing i've been trying (but failing because a lack of aeration and too much peat). then i found the best of and it all made sense. i read jr rodale's organic gardening encyclopedia about 1/2 a year before i found other information about this that wasn't from before the 80's.

i'm just trying to help people that have white mold all over their dirt balls. because that shit happened to me 3 days ago and i fixed it with sand and perlite. that's honestly the reason i created this account. i'm looking to share personal experience and advice.

16. I'm down with trying to share experiences and help others. I'm not down with treating us like idiots. I suggest you go back and reread your posts as that is what you are doing. I understand you may be excited by what you have learned, but for me, that knowledge is a mere starting point in organics. And it still doesn't escape the fertilizer modality of treating plants that has been foisted off on growers everywhere by the petrochemical industry. Read the Monsanto sticky here for more information on that.

If you come up with a novel idea, we are going to ask you about and expect you to back it up. We have some real experts here. While the rev, and I am so sick of hearing about this guy, may offer better alternatives to bottled nutes, he is by no measure an expert on organics.

If you want to read an exciting book, easy to read, on growing organically, try the book, Teaming With Microbes. It will blow your mind. Also read the stickies here with posts from Lumperdawgz. You're only hurting yourself if you don't.

Again, welcome to GrassCity. :D

PS, we dig you got information from Skunk. We're not impressed by that magazine here. ;)

17. #37 n0rth3rnl1ghtz, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    just downloaded the pdf :) also, what magazines do you suggest then? and most of what i know is from rodale pre 1980. sorry if you guys think i'm talking down or something. just excited about shit.

i ordered a lab quality 2000x microscope with a built in camera about a week ago so this book will actually tell me what i'm looking at. thanks :)

18. n0rth3rnl1ghtz your apology is easily and gratefully accepted. I know what it's like to get excited and to babble on endlessly.

If you are getting a microscope, you may wish to check out this site. It's a great companion site to that book I mentioned, Teaming With Microbes.

Microbe Organics

I've got the Rodale Encyclopedia on organic gardening as well. Check out the section on compost.