Trouble with "spindly" sprouting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mendoman, Nov 18, 2009.

1. #1 mendoman, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    Hey all, thanks in advance for your help.

My grow consists of two firsts for me. 1: indoor grow, 2: growing from seeds, not clones.

I successfully germinated 15 seeds (10 White Rhino (feminized), 5 Aurora Indica (also feminized)) with the paper towel method, then sprouting them in 16 ounce plastic party cups with a baggie over the top.

Once I got the 15 babies under 6500K CFL's, some of the WR sprouts grew super thin at the base, tipped over and didn't stand a chance. From the head of the sprout to about 1 inch down, the stalk was the proper thickness, then it tapered very thin and got thicker at the root. The light is close enough and they've got water, I'm just not sure what I might have done, or be doing wrong.

It looks like the 5 AI's will be fine, and 5 of the WR's look good as well.

Comments?

EDIT: Also, I currently have them under 16 23W 6500K CFL's, 2 each in reflectors. Is it possible that they got too warm? I would assume no, because it didn't effect all of them, but I'm adding this for a bit more information.

2. how close are ur lights??? & how many lights total?

3. dude i have had these in the past sometimes. never really figured out why. i figured it might be from cold soil. like between the light closeness and the damp soil it could have been anyone or none of these. but once i saw this and transplanted them to different pots they all survived. so the only thing i can recommend is re pot survivors into you big pots see if it helps. i will keep track of this because i want to see if some one else knows more

4. i would guess to say that light distance,to cool in room,to much water. cfl light can be put 2 to 3 inchs off the leaves. room should be 72 to 78 f and water a little less. tell me more because im only guessing on what i got out of your post.

5. I must have edited my post as soon as you sent this question..

I have 8 total, 9 inch round light reflectors (the kind with the clamp you'd find at Home Depot) each holding 2 23 watt (100W equivalent each, 368 actual watts) 6500K CFL's. I have them about 2 inches from the seedlings. I will be adding many more as they grow.

I need to get a thermometer for the room, but my guess is that the tent is about 80-82 degrees near the plants.