trouble wiring computer fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by mpmapes, May 30, 2009.

1. I've connected a fan to a DC converter and it worked for awhile. Eventually it started to smell weird and the fan stopped working. I think I'm overpowering the fan, but I don't know any other way to wire it. Can anybody help with this problem?

2. When a computer fan plugs into the motherboard it send out the necessary voltage stepped down through resistors. You need to find a better fan:confused:

3. These fans are brand new and have been used by other people doing grows. The adapter I'm using is 10V DC. I know the fans are good so is there anything else I can do?

4. I think I may have figured out what is wrong. The fan is rated 12V and the output on my adapter is only 10V. I'll have to find a different adapter then try it out. The adapter can power the fan for a few minutes but after that it dies.

5. That doesn't matter, it'll just spin at lower RPMs. Sounds like your problem may be with the transformer--is it providing enough amperage? Make sure you aren't shorting out anything too.

6. Thanks for the help. +rep both of yas

7. no problem, thx

I'm glad to help. check my post pics and you can see they work