Trouble sleeping

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by linkman553, Mar 16, 2010.

1. I have been smoking (and since about a month ago, vaporizing instead) everyday since October. Sometimes I do in the morning and sometimes don't, but I always do at night and occasionally during the day (if the opportunity presents itself).

I had no trouble sleeping until about a month or 2 ago. For some reason I started waking up anywhere from an hour to 3 hours before my alarm goes off. I think the variance is because of the variance of when I go to sleep (ex.when I go to sleep earlier I usually wake up with more hours to go before my alarm goes off).

This wouldnt be too bad of a problem, but once I wake up, often times I can't get back to sleep or its hard to get back to sleep. As a result I lose hours of sleep that I want and need! and once I do get back to sleep, I sleep for only like an hour and I usually have a super intense dream that make me feel as if several hours have passed when I wake up.

Isn't smoking supposed to help you sleep better? Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice as to what to do?

2. #2 Chaohinon, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
    -make sure you're getting some exercise in the during the day. when I lift I sleep like a baby

-cut the junk food, heavily-caffeinated or sugary drinks, etc.

-eat more saturated fat, preferably from coconut oil

-get your O6/O3 fats in balance, take a fish oil supplement or something

-make sure you don't have any light/noise that could be disrupting your sleep. Even something as minor as a flashlight pointed at your knee could cause a sleep disturbance.

read this

so get some red lightbulbs (or candles) and use those as your only light source when the sun starts to go down. Download F.lux, which automatically switches your computers light output to the red spectrum after 6pm.

And if you have anything particular on your mind before you go to bed, be sure to write it all down in a journal (or better yet, a public blog, facebook, or something), so that it doesn't plague you when you're trying to rest your mind.

3. Well actually I started running 2 miles everyday of the week about 5 weeks ago, and since then I've also cut way down on junk food, which I didnt normally eat that much of anyway.

The light thing could be it perhaps, I have a lamp on my desk that emits white light. Although when I sleep my rooms pitch black. It could also be the noise thing, I sleep next to a fan on high, but I've been doing that for a long long time why would that suddenly start causing a problem?

4. Ok, I guarantee the 2 miles a day is what's causing this. That kind of constant cardio sends your cortisol levels through the roof, which really disrupts sleep. If you want to run, stick to short, all-out sprints.

Dear Mark: Chronic Cardio | Mark's Daily Apple