Tropic grow advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by CALAMITY671, Oct 5, 2019.

1. So I live in the tropics(Guam), and the longest our days will get is 12 hours and 55 minutes. Humidity ranges between 60-90. We get about 80-100 inches(200-254cm) of rain a year. Our day temperatures range from 85°F-90°F(29°C-32°C), while nights range 75°F-80°F(23°C-26°C). Rainy season is July-October and account for half of our annual rainfall. Our native soils are very rich in minerals (calcium,iron, magnesium, zinc etc..)
    We're also a cannabis friendly island and can grow up to 6 plants.

So I'm planning to do a full organic outdoor grow. I have 1 acre and I'm planning to use a quater of that acre for a garden. Then raise a few chickens and pigs for ferts while having an area for compost. I'll be growing vegetables, herbs/spices,fruits, flowers, and of course weed

I have everything planned out. The only thing that I need advice on is Guams photoperiod. I've usually only grown landrace sativas. The strain I currently have takes like a year to grow. Germinate by February and expect a harvest in december. By the time drying and curings finished its february again.

I'm thinking of growing 3 of those 1 years and 3 sativa dominant hybrids. How would those hybrids fair with the photoperiod? Would they act like autos?

I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice, knowledge, or experience they would like to share. Even if u haven't lived in a similar enviroment, as long as u have something u think could help. I'm all ears.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I never grew outdoors but perhaps you can make a greenhouse and artificially change the photo period to suit your needs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 theepopeofdope, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    From your description of your environment I would do greenhouse with a dehumidifier and fan circulating hot air out (and yes as mentioned above, a light to augment the short daylight). I would start small to test this out (smaller greenhouse but could easily get 6 plants in there). It's still an outdoor grow, your plants may even like the humidity at first but during flowering you will have problems if you left them out in the wet.

* to specifically answer your question about how those species of plant will do in the photo period, will they act like autos? No they will not act like autos. Although, growing autos is an option for you as they are not (mostly not) photo sensitive. My thinking would be that they won't be able to grow into substantial producers as they would probably begin flowering a month in, giving you little popcorn nugs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I cant really do a Greenhouse. We get 1 or 2 typhoons a year so it'll just be blown away.

You could argue that I can do a cheap diy greenhouse with PVC and plastic sheeting but even if it's cheap. I'll have to constantly fix repair which would add up over time.

You could argue me taking down the green house during a storm, but then my plants would be exposed. All in all a greenhouse would be a bad investment on Guam unless ur making it out of metal.

5. it's sounds like taking things indoors would be the best option.

Thinking outside of the box here to confront the wet weather, things like SCROG, giving the plants a lot of support and also good spacing so that the wet comes off of them. Maybe even SCROG up a steep vertical hillside (I've grown on hillsides and there are numerous benefits). If straight into the earth dig out a big patch for well drained soil, or better in your case to use containers with well drained soil. Pick out mold resistant strains, think tropical landrace.

But all of that said, you still have the issue of photoperiod. That I don't know how to contend with other than lights. I would say you could grow indoors and then put them outside to flower, but then why not just finish the job inside?

6. I was thinking of getting some real stretchy strains for the photoperiod problems. Even if they only grow 2 feet in veg as long as they double or triple size in stretch then that's still 4 to 6 feet. Add that with some lst then I could probably get something done. Another plan I was thinking of is a long flowering strain like 12 weeks and up. That could give it some extra grow time.

7. Yes you will get some stretch. I say try this out and document it with photos. I think you could make it happen and it would be interesting. Your plants will grow and flower no doubt.

I would think that shorter flowering period would be better, but try both. I would imagine you'd get flowers and be racing against the weather to cut them down and start another crop.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 puffnstuff1960, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    If a green house wont stand up to your weather I doubt
    I cant really do a Greenhouse. We get 1 or 2 typhoons a year so it'll just be blown away.

I doubt a pot plant could take winds like that without some kind of protection or support. The wind IMO is your biggest concern some type of wind break maybe. :confused_2: Inquire in your area how other people that grow keep the wind from beating the hell outta there plants.

AFA lighting all you have to do is put some lights in your grow area to increase your veg time. Any type of light should work. But then you have to think with wind usually = a power outage.