Troopers seize almost 2 tons of marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by IndianaToker, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Troopers seize almost 2 tons of marijuana

December 7, 2004
    BARRY HALVORSON
    Victoria Advocate

PIERCE - Nearly 2 tons of marijuana along with the tractor-trailer rig hauling it were seized during a Department of Public Safety Narcotics Task Force operation along U.S Highway 59 in Wharton County around 5:15 a.m. Sunday.

The tractor-trailer rig was traveling north along the highway near the Farm-to-Market Road 441 at Hillje when it was stopped by DPS Trooper Robert Germany for a defective license plate lamp, said DPS Senior Trooper Gary Pflughaupt.

Germany is normally based in Huntsville but was on loan to the DPS Pierce office for the task force.

"After making the stop, the trooper saw indications of criminal behavior in the man's actions," Pflughaupt said. "So the trooper asked for and received consent to search the trailer. The marijuana was found inside several hidden compartments in the trailer. At that point, the driver was arrested and taken to the Wharton County Jail."

The 3,822 pounds of marijuana has an estimated value of $3.8 million. The 1997 Freightliner tractor has an estimated value of $30,000, while the 1994 Great Dane trailer has an estimated value of $10,000, Pflughaupt said

The truck driver, Steven Carl Ecton, 50, of McAllen was charged with possession of marijuana over 2,000 pounds. Justice of the Peace Precinct 3 Dennis Korenek set bail at $50,000.

Wharton County Sheriff's Lt. Daniel Marek said Ecton remained jailed Monday afternoon.

Germany was assisted at the scene by his canine partner Rex the Second. "While I can't be sure, it is very possible that some of the marijuana would not have been found without the presence of the dog," Pflughaupt said.

Link to article: http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/local/local/story/2406336p-2785260c.html

2. Bummer. All from a defective license plate lamp. The guy obviously wasn't suave.

3. Ouch, its funny how theyre so proud of themselves for doing this, like the dudes a scumbag whos out to hurt people. fuck, poor dude i feel bad for his family.

4. no kidding, the weed probably wasn't even his, he was probably just the driver... makin a little money, and now hes responsible for of 3000 pounds of weed...

that sucks

5. There catching people every where these days!

6. I heard about a local guy here in Oregon who was sentenced to LIFE IN PRISON, for having a U-haul full of bud... granted, it was in the seventies but still.... shit!

7. dude almost 2 tons! shit! what do they do the narcotic people do with the weed when confiskate it? smoke it?

8. Up to 2,000 pounds.. anyone know the average jail time for that?

9. ^^^ probably a shitload of jail time..............2 tons is a lot of weight........if i were the driver i would have shot the cops and taken my plates off then bounced to the delivery spot.......just kiddin.........but i bet a couple peoples legs are gonna get broken over this...........

10. I doubt he pulled him over for just a faulty liscence plate light, im sure there was some operation or something going on....bastards

11. broken ... cut off lol

anyway why do they travel with soo much i dont get it.

they should split it up so if one driver gets busted they dont lose the whole load

12. ha just pictured drug dogs walking up to a truck with 2 tons of weed..
    they prob went nuts

13. Why the hell did he let him search it? It said he asked and recieved permission to search it. If i were the guy i would have been like hell no you have no reason too. Go get a effing search warrant. Why did he have to let him??

14. Drugs which are confiscated in the US are eventually burned.

It is always a sad day when a bust like this happins. :(

15. God if i was transporting that much weed id make sure I was %110 sure i was driving right and everything was fine with my car and I would drive perfect and get there easy....And i dont think that the guy didnt know the weed was in there...jsut doesnt seem like it would happen.