"Tripping?"

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Meursault, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Does anyone else think that the word "trip" is thrown around too often here? To me, "tripping" has always meant a psychedelic experience. TRYPtamines (and a few psychedelic phenythylamines) make you TRIP. Makes sense to me.

When I see people talk about DXM "trips" or Benadryl "trips" I always think about this and come to the conclusion that a dissociative experience like DXM really can't be called a "trip." Deliriants get a bit more complicated because they can be a bit like a psychedelic trip but are also very different.

Anyone else just slightly annoyed when they see the word misused?

2. I get pissed when people dont know what the fuck it means. but thats about it.

3. Yeah, I notice it pretty often.

Especially when people associate tripping with marijuana.

4. I agree that the word is misused quite often but I have to disagree with saying DXM experiences aren't trips. I've had many many trips on DXM and some were similar to my mushroom experiences. I would call it a trip, deleriants I would not call a trip though because I associate the word trip with a generally pleasant experience and I can't stand deleriants

5. #5 BunnyNamedFrank, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    no no no

i hate it when people use trip for weed.

but i think benadryl and dxm is completly 100% a trip, but u have to take high doses. u hallucinate during both of them just like psychdelics.

6. #6 Et Cetera, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    I've only tripped with mushrooms (once) and DXM (many times, long ago). I can't see how the DXM experience is not a trip. I think of the word just as it's normally used: you leave what's familiar and mundane to explore the unknown and exciting. The DXM trip undoubtedly carries you into a new sphere of existence. And like other drugs' trips, the DXM one can be great or horrible.

To use an admittedly poor analogy: the cannabis high is like looking out of your window and seeing something wonderfully strange. A trip is like being that strange thing outside, looking to the window and seeing yourself looking at yourself.

7. i used to get annoyed with how much i heard people say they were trippin'!!!! but i really dont care anymore cause just abotu everything everyone does annoys me haha. i think psychedelic trips are the legit way to use it, but when people say theyre tripping they could be freaking out, seeing colors, i dont know, u just sorta needa ask em what they mean otherwise it could mean a million things :/ stupid slang.. lol ive done shit tons of dxm, not reayl a trip, it can occationally be like a mental trip, but nothing compared to acid or any other true psychedelic

8. i hate it when people get they panties in a bunch over the use of a word.

shits different everywhere, i say someones trippin when they are over reacting.. is that a problem?