Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tripping myself out.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by infamousnugz, Jun 3, 2012.

1. So, last night I had the worst panic attack of my entire life, but I'm convinced that it was self-created by my thoughts. I've probably smoked anywhere from 1500 to 2000 times in my life, so this is all new and it really scared the living shit out of me.

I smoked half a bowl, nothing big. After a while my throat started to feel very tight, so I'd swallow to make the sensation go away. I started to notice that I was swallowing a lot, several times in a minute, and I thought "Why the hell am I swallowing?" It brought on a ton of panic in the classic way of having a panic attack, only I couldn't really swallow at all. My neck felt numb and the sensation to swallow began to exacerbate itself and I felt like I wasn't breathing.

Now I knew that I was breathing and I was tripping myself out, but I had two moments during my high where the feeling to swallow was impossible to please and I felt like I was going to swallow my tongue or something. I freaked myself out so bad that I think that I might have created anxiety where there was none, and now I know how sensitive and strong my thoughts can be that I am totally thrown off from smoking ever again because it was that terrifying.

Even a few hours after the high, I freaked myself out with the swallowing thing again. During the panic my heart was beating like 200bpm.

Any tips would be SO appreciated because I know that I can get past it, just the fear of my experience might have totally screwed me over for future smoking.

The mind is powerful.

2. This sucks, I created a post about smoking at work and freaking out because I thought my boss would know that my eyes were red etc. It's all in the mind, you have to just chill out enjoy the bud and grab a drink next time. If you stay calm and control your mindset you soon enough go back to enjoying you're high. Odd enough I'm a daily toker and this just happened to me, I'm good now.

Good luck blade, that can be scary!

3. Classic case of forgetting how to swallow. Happens to me all the time. You convince yourself you can't swallow or breath when in reality, as hours pass, you are still breathing and swallowing. The more you think the worse it gets.

Just gotta learn to control your mind...maybe even EaseTheMind.

4. Glass of water would have fixed you up.

5. [quote name='"infamousnugz"']So, last night I had the worst panic attack of my entire life, but I'm convinced that it was self-created by my thoughts. I've probably smoked anywhere from 1500 to 2000 times in my life, so this is all new and it really scared the living shit out of me.

I smoked half a bowl, nothing big. After a while my throat started to feel very tight, so I'd swallow to make the sensation go away. I started to notice that I was swallowing a lot, several times in a minute, and I thought "Why the hell am I swallowing?" It brought on a ton of panic in the classic way of having a panic attack, only I couldn't really swallow at all. My neck felt numb and the sensation to swallow began to exacerbate itself and I felt like I wasn't breathing.

Now I knew that I was breathing and I was tripping myself out, but I had two moments during my high where the feeling to swallow was impossible to please and I felt like I was going to swallow my tongue or something. I freaked myself out so bad that I think that I might have created anxiety where there was none, and now I know how sensitive and strong my thoughts can be that I am totally thrown off from smoking ever again because it was that terrifying.

Even a few hours after the high, I freaked myself out with the swallowing thing again. During the panic my heart was beating like 200bpm.

Any tips would be SO appreciated because I know that I can get past it, just the fear of my experience might have totally screwed me over for future smoking.

The mind is powerful.[/quote]

The mind is powerful. That's all you need to know.

6. Yea man sound like u mind fuck the shit out of your self.

7. Same exact thing happened to me. I just had to lay down and convince myself I was trippin

8. It was almost a form of OCD when I had smoked. I barely swallow, but the urge to do so overcame me and put me in a dark place. I was home alone at the time, and even though I'm still scared of the experience, I am still interested in smoking today.

I had been drinking milk and had bacon before my high last night, so that could have contributed to it. I always had complete control over my highs so perhaps this is a wake up call to cut back or quit altogether. I think too much about stuff that freaks me out as of late. If I ever overcome the urge to swallow air I should be fine.

Such a strange experience that left a scar somewhere.

9. It's all in your head man, you're just scaring yourself with your own thoughts.

10. It's true, I won't even try to deny it in any way.

I've always been really sensitive and my brain has always felt in overdrive. Freaking out from the bud really sucks and I never imagined that I ever would after I had first smoked back in '08 or so. I'm going to blaze a super small bowl after a shower and just relax into a video game or something and see how it goes.

What bothers me is how tight my neck muscles were and how if I didn't swallow I thought I'd die. The physical came before the mental, but then the mental really dug me a messy grave. Fuck! I love the ganj, I won't give up easily.

11. DRINK SOME FUCKIN WATER.
    honestly never really had a panic attack from weed so I can't relate however I've been high and just started swallowing my spit over and over to the point i would choke because I couldn't remember exactly how to swallow.. if you understand what im saying.
    I'd say just tell yourself your tripping out and calm down and just watch some tv and get your mind off the swallowing thing and drink some water......

12. You should try and take a break from the Herb.
    Get in a better mind state then :smoke: .

13. I've had something very similar to this. Dehydration + intense cottonmouth made my mouth very dry, so I started swallowing tons, which wasn't cool since my mouth was practically dry of saliva, so I started trying to swallow nothing which felt like I was choking, which just made everything worse. This terrible feeling went on for a few seconds before I had realized what was going on and had a sip of my drink which fixed everything. After you've had your first panic attack, it's also usually easier to avoid another one because you know what the symptoms feel like so you know when to just go and calm yourself down.

14. Man this happens to me too. But it turned from the swallowing thing into breathing and then into relaxing I feel like I can't swallow, breathe, relax, or even move, and it is a vicious cycle and it takes a couple minutes to calm down.

15. I smoked again, and I've decided that I'm taking at least a month t-break, possibly longer since mentally I don't have it all in order it would seem. I've been taking a low dose of Vyvanse which has helped me for a few months. The pill does wonders even at a low dose, but clearly my present state of mind and these two substances combined is giving me issues.

When I smoke it feels like my blood pressure rises greatly, and I find that the hours before I smoke are more enjoyable than the ones after I smoke lately due to weed stresses. I love the herb and I hate to do it, but clearly it would be for the best at the moment. I felt like I was on speed or something earlier during my high. My perception of time just felt really blitzed.

I've been stressed for months even though I wouldn't normally admit it. Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future with these issues, as I had read a number of GC posts that helped quell my mind prior to posting.

My life has just radically change since early March when I did a hefty dose of shrooms which changed my way of looking at life almost entirely. I had a death/rebirth experience during it where I had seen each family member in a real emotional light, and came face to face with the fear of death and how much of reality is woven our eyes as a security blanket. There for a reason, and it helps, for I believe non-sober and sober reality should differ for the experience and views we gain from them.

Thanks for the comments. Should be back to the scene during the summer or after sometime.

16. I hope for the best for you man. Let us know if it works. Also I think it could help to get in touch with nature, I have been wanting to go on a camping and fishing trip for a long time. Being caught up in the fast paced modern world can be heavy on our minds!