Triple head to head nutrient test flowering.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Funtogrow, Jan 27, 2017.

1. I decided I wanted to do a little test thru flower with three plants from seed that are all pretty even and have had the same treatment thru veg, so flower nutes will be the only difference. I've been told Roots Organics is hard to flush out and leaves an undesirable taste, this is a test comparing it to another nutrient I've used before. More details on the nutes below.

This is a small plant test, so don't expect to see huge colas, lol. They went 12/12 from seed, showing sex and pumping out pistils now so the fun should begin soon.

This first post is going to be pretty long, but I'll get all the main info on here so as I do updates andplant y'all can just reference back to this first thread for a lot of the info. Now to begin.

Strain: All 3 are bagseed, but when I get seeds in bags I don't mix those with seeds from other bags. Makes it much easier to get rid of duds when you find them, and group the good together. Not a perfect solution, but it's one way to help filter thru and get good stuff from bagseed. This particular group of seeds seem to be the same, both that I've flowered already grew and smoked the same (also small plants). These three, plus the one I held in veg, are the end of those seeds. 6 seeds total, 5 females and one not yet showing, really hope that's not the one male in the group, lol. They are visually Indica dom with fat ingers and a shorter bushy stature. The buds so far have been lemony smell and taste, nice and sticky, more of a heady high but it delt with my back pain just fine. ;)

Lights: (12/12) 4' 4 bulb t5ho w/2@2800k and 2@3000k. Plants are in the middle of the light approx 4.5" light to canopy.

Environment: My environment is difficult to stabilise, I do what I can and keep working to improve it. Small cabin with wood heat, dry air and fluctuating temps.
    Temps are typically: 75-80f lights on and 60-70f off but occasionally hit lower/higher.
    RH: 25-40% lights on, 35-60% lights off. Colder outside= hotter fire= dryer air, so more often in the low side than than the high side.

Grow medium: Soil- reused topsoil/growstone mix. High growstone ratio, 50%+. Planted in one gallon nursery pots double stacked, inner (top) pot has most of the bottom cut out so if needed I can lift the top pot out and add soil to the bottom if needed. So far, no roots so they'll stay how they are.

Water: City water, sits in open 5 gallon bucket 48hrs+ before it's used. Normally ph's high 6's before adding anything. I water by weight, but I'm finding my new gadget makes things a little easier for me. Using a moisture sensor for my soil now, not as the end all be all, just another tool. Going by weight can be deceiving for me, carpal tunnel and back issues often make the same weight feel different on different days so sometimes it's hard to tell. Once a week they are getting fed nutes (will discuss below), any other waterings thru the week are typically no nutes unless they show they need it. No nute waterings often have neem oil, hydrogen peroxide, or Superthrive.

Nutrients: So here's the test part. The three plants have been labeled: EJ, RR, and FL. They were all grown with the same nutrients to this point, now we'll see what flowering brings with different nutes.

EJ:
    Earth Juice Bloom, will amend as needed by what she tells me she needs. EJ Bloom is derived from: steamed bonemeal, marine bird fossilized guano, bat fossilized guano, sea kelp, natural sulfate of potash, molasses.

Total N- 0%
    Avail P- 3%
    Sol Potash- 1%

RR:
    Roots Organics Buddha Bloom, will amend as needed as above. Buddha Bloom derived from: bat guano, molasses, worm castings, yucca extract, kelp extract (ascophyllum nodosum), soy protein hydrolysate.

Total N- 0.5%
    w/s-0.2%
    w/i- 0.3%
    Avail P-2.0%
    Sol potash-1.0%
    Calcium- 1.0%

FL:
    This will be my current nutrients, Roots Organics but with many of the amendments. I'm not going to list info for every amendment like I did above, but I'll list the individual products, all by Roots Organics:
    Buddha Grow
    Buddha Bloom
    Trinity-(rhizosphere catalyst)
    Ancient Amber
    HP2
    HPK-(bloom booster)
    Extreme Serene-(micronutrients)

For nutrient ratios, they will start out at 50% of low recommendation and work up from there. FL will be 50% of the feeding schedule, starting now at week 1 flower, and I will increase the % of the scheduled for the proper week until I level off.

Other supplements on hand if needed:

Cal-Mag
    Dry bat guano
    Kelp meal
    EWC
    100% neem oil
    Pure honey
    Molasses
    Epsom salt

The girls:
    IMG_20170126_124141.jpg

EJ: day 35 from sprout. Currently 3.25" tall with 7 nodes, she showed sex on day 31 (12/22).
    IMG_20170126_124230.jpg

RR: day 35 from sprout. Currently 3" tall with 7 nodes, she also showed sex on day 31 (12/22).
    IMG_20170126_124242.jpg

FL: day 35 from sprout. Currently 2.25” tall with 7 nodes. She showed sex on day 34.

IMG_20170126_124251.jpg

They got fed today, 50% strength of low dose.

Here they are at the buffet.
    IMG_20170126_110702.jpg

Dinner is served, lol. Definitely a noticeable difference in feeding color... Left to right: EJ, FL, RR.
    IMG_20170126_123329.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. IN for the grow for sure.

Im betting on negligible results at best when concerning yields or quality, will probably notice differences in terp content though, you *might* see a small difference in frost coverage of the sugar and fan leaves.

:popcorn:

One bit of advice though, this entire experiment is for not without a control group of some kind. Pick your preferred female from these seeds, and run CLONES of that ONE plant for the experiment, you will most likely get different phenotypes from each seed.

Even if the plants are visibly identical, they are not the same plant, and were not created with the same grain of pollen and the same ovule. and the experiment will be completely useless. Not enough variables will be eliminated for a valid result to be obtained.....scientific method ftw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm looking to see if the bitter taste in getting is from something I'm doing wrong, cure/flush/trim, etc, or if I see the bitterness go away with the Earth Juice. Not really doing a "test" as much as trying to decide if I want to make a change since I'm getting low on flower nutes, figured I had both so I'd see if I wanted to continue on roots or swap and see what my true results are.

But you're right, I don't expect to see much difference either. Really just having some fun with a "couple future bowls" (I know there won't be much there, lol).

4. This is true... unless they are clone from the same mother, it hard to compare them at all. Those 3 bagseed have different pheno type and will not behave the same even if you feed them the same exact thing let alone you are trying different feeding to those 3.

Personally I would choose one of those three and make 3 clones out of one plant and redo the experiment. Regardless, go head and test it out to have an idea and redo it again with the same clone to confirm and see the differences of clone and 3 different type.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

5. #5 lalamann, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    if that's your goal i see where you're coming from, but how are you sure the bitterness wasn't just a characteristic of the last plant? or had you flowered multiple from seed and experienced the same thing?

Or im assuming the bag they came from lacked the taste all together? Could still be a characteristic of the pollen donor showing some dominant traits. Lots of variables to be covered to know for sure. (although if ALL have been female it was likely pollinated by another female gone stress hermie elsewhere in the original growers crop)

Either way id love to watch this play out and catch the result!! if it plays out like you hope i just know a nutrient to avoid in the future at no cost of my own :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've flowered a few plants from a few different strains with roots organics and gotten the bitterness, both from seed and from clone. I don't remember the bitter prior to buying the roots organic player pack, and after being told by someone locally and seeing a few posts I thought if I use the same flush with the two different nutes that'd tell me if it's the nutes or not that I'm tasting. Might just be that if I use them I need to flush more or different.

Hell, it's just fun to grow, right? Lol

7. Go head and have fun experimenting. Even if the data can't be exact same just good to collect data in general. If you do have a chance, clone the bad tasting one and this time use different nute to see if it has the same problem. Most of the time the taste is more strain dominate, but what you feed can effect taste, how you grow can effect taste, and how much you flush and when you harvest all the way to curing can effect taste. Good luck with the experiment and be sure to keep us posted. I am all about learning.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 lalamann, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    no harm in troubleshooting. I have used roots Buddha grow and bloom in the past with great results, just used it along side some generic cal-mag from amazon and some Big Bloom for an extra PK boost.

Player pack looks like it has a LOT more than just that in it though lol, if your goal is to figure out if something in that lineup is the issue you should be right on track for that, best of luck!

9. Didn't manage to grab any pics before harvesting and I didn't worry about weight since this was all about flavor. They all three came out smoking well after 7 days hanging, none noticeability different so the nutes weren't the issue. Pretty sure it was my pervious drying issues that was messing with flavor and smoothness. As for actual growth, the only real difference I noticed was the plant with the roots organic full line grew a little bigger and produced fluffier bud with longer node spacing.

So at this point I've not made a decision on whether to switch or not, will use up the nutes I've got and go from there.