Trip report from Negril, Jamaica

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by stankonia, Mar 30, 2016.

1. I hope I've picked the right forum location for this. I returned from a weeklong trip in Jamaica with my family for a wedding and wanted to share some observations. Before leaving I read all kinds of stories about prices, the process, quality, etc. Here is my take:

It's true that you don't even need to ask around to find weed, the weed will find you. If you have white skin, everything imaginable will be offered to you. Lifeguards, hotel security guards, musicians, taxi drivers, random people will all be asking if you smoke. Weed is not sold by weight, it is sold by "stick", which is either a cola or a stem with smaller bud sites throughout. There is really only one strain of weed around these parts, referred to as "monkey skunk". This is because outdoor weed in jamaica has not been tampered with and cross-bred like it has been in the U.S. However, this doesn't stop sellers from promising exotic strains like "white ice" and "acapulco gold". But it's all monkey skunk.

Weed was decriminalized in Jamaica in 2015 and anyone can have 2 ounces or less. Locals can grow 5 plants or less. But I don't think this has had any effect on strain selection. Monkey Skunk is a very mild, grassy strain that is..for lack of a better term, very "natural" and low potency. You feel like you're smoking the same stuff as people centuries before you, because...well...you probably are.

The price for "sticks" and colas are very discouraging as a tourist. Stories of sticks for $5 or $10 must have been happening by a more shrewd negotiator that I am. The thing is, no matter how much you tell them the price is too high and walk away, there is always some gullible noob tourist who will cave in on the absurd price. So they feel no obligation to beg you for your US dollars, which are in high demand down there. I never got down below $50 for a stick that contained anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 of an oz. The BEST I did was pay $15 for a joint that a lifeguard called a "baseball bat" due to its shape, which was probably a good 2 grams worth. It was pleasant, but I would pay the same back home. My friends at the wedding all had similar experiences. The most discouraging part was this was happening in the local part of town in downtown Negril, not just the tourist resorts! And I shopped around!

Anyway, this is my 2016 experience with the west coast of Jamaica. I had a good time overall, but the bargain shopping that I had hoped for did not pan out.

2. You gotta counter offer

Sent from my SM-G928V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Yea heard Jamaican weed kind of sucks actually. Usually never separate males.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk