Trimming leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Murdoch, Jan 21, 2012.

1. I usually trim the big fan leaves as they get big. So I'm kind of cutting leaves of my plants every 2-3 days when they're around 3 weeks into flower and I'm starting to wonder if I'm slowing the growth. Am I stunting the plants by trimming leaves? I've been thinking to not trim any leaves in my next growth but there's just sooo much leaves and I don't think the lower part of the plants are going to get any light.

I've just noticed that my plants always look very healthy but the buds are not growing much the last 2-3 weeks. I've been growing in soil, hydro and now coco and It's kinda always the same. My plants can grow big, strong and healthy but then growth slows down a lot in the last 2-3 weeks. It's very
    frustrating.

I'm usually not trimming much until the 3rd or 4th week of flower. So what do you people do? Are you trimming a lot or nothing. And if you trim then how often and how much?

2. What nutes are you using during flowring? N P K?

3. I'm just using Atami coco nutes A+B and bloom stimulator from Atami also. I was using GHE nutes before and with same results. Just more expensive.

4. I'm not familiar with them. How much phosphorus do they contain?

5. Trimmingleaves does stunt growing.

1. You are cutting off big giant solar panels.

2. The plants is using alot of energy repairing the wounds.

3. You are shocking the plant because you trim every 2-3 days.

You have maybe delayed your plant a good month in growth. Its so busy repairing wounds and trying to make its current leaves bigger so it can consume more light.

Next time trim maybe one leaf and then leave it alone for the rest of it's life.

6. I am 4 weeks into flower and haven't cut any leaves except for the ones that fall off and die

7. In my journal I have a direct correlation between me cutting shit and those plants stretching way more than the rest..so I did the removing about a week into flower..it definitely has an effect.

8. [quote name='Jiggly PUFFED']Trimmingleaves does stunt growing.

1. You are cutting off big giant solar panels.

2. The plants is using alot of energy repairing the wounds.

3. You are shocking the plant because you trim every 2-3 days.

you have maybe delayed your plant a good month in growth. Its so busy repairing wounds and trying to make its current leaves bigger so it can consume more light.

Absolutely correct.......
    Only move leaves that are directly shading upper bud sites, TUCK dont cut.
    You would be better off removing any shitty lower branches than trying to get light to them, this lets the plant send a little more energy to the upper bud sites.

peace B

9. Thanks for all your reply's. I will stop trimming like I do. Maybe just a few leaves like twice through flowering. I've definitely stunted my plants.

Cheers!

10. This sounds good. If you want to do any trimming it's best to leave it to the veg and early flowering period, when they can take almost anything you do to them. After a certain point I avoid cutting anything that isn't a dying leaf, and if need be I will tuck a fan leaf behind a bud site or another fan leaf, the goal is to allow light to penetrate the lower bud sites, and tucking can do that.

11. Why have I never thought of tucking the big leaves? Great advice :) Thanks.
    So my next run I'll cut the lower branches away in veg and then use the tuck method and just minimal cutting maybe once or twice through flowering.

12. That's what I always do and I am always really satisfied with my bud development. When I first cut away the lower branches and leaves around 2 weeks into flowering, it almost seems detrimental. But what doesn't get cut swells up and grows in nicely, so there is minimal amount of popcorn buds and airy branches that are more effort than it's worth to trim.

13. Great advice, I was thinking of cutting my leaves becuz there covering everything, im about 2 1/2 weeks n , I guess ill use the tuck method

14. If you tuck leaves keep an eye on them as they can go mouldy when you wedge the leaf next to the stem.
    i normaly keep them tucked for 4/5 days then untuck for a day or 2.
    Middy

15. Well, I wont do it if it risk mold

16. Yeah for sure, air circulation and humidity is important, especially in flowering. Luckily I always run at around 30% during flowering, so mold issues have never arisen for me.

17. if you rotate your plants 1/4-1/2 turn everyday you dont have to trim anything. During veg I do most of my trimming/pruning, lst etc, and even in the first 2 weeks of flowering I like to supercrop my tops. Supercropping buddy, look into it.

18. Trimming the leaves does NOT stunt growth. There are plently of places on the plant for photosynthesis to occur. When u remove the leaf the energy is directed into the bud site directly above it. I defoliate more in the veg stage(daily) and a lot less in flower(weekly)
    People will always argue this point but theyve never tried it or they would agree!
    Defoliation actually increases plant growth!!!!!

19. I don't think that's true.

20. I didnt either. Then I tried it