Trimming Fan Leaves

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by n8razze, May 22, 2013.

1. Try rumple's bubble bucket diy with co2 and you can yield more lol...quit hatin

2. #42 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    No, I don't grow a single plant in a closet with a 1000 watt lamp. It is just as I stated, I grow with a 400 watt lamp. As you can see from my grow, trimming the leaves won't help you get more light. I grow with much less light than you. That alone should get you thinking.

Fan leaves don't stop the bud from growing, they are part of it. Listen to Jorge, he knows what he is talking about.

Keep working on your setup, you will get great results sooner than you think.
    Peace, R.

P.S. Don't make me take pictures of my ballast and all my extra bulbs (crawling into my attic does not sound fun right now). Or get other members who have been in my grow room to set the record straight, It is as I said.

3. There's no hate towards rumple, just like a bit of banter and get to hear his views and see his plants

have tried bubble buckets a few times and there easy to work with and yeild loads, but cost a lot to setup and run and need a lot of care and attention to keep it running

plants grown in organic soil with bio bizz nutes is soooo good, the buds are dank and the smokes smoth.
    I only need to water every 2-3 days, a bag of soil, bio fish mix and bloom cost me about £30 quid a grow

imo co2 is only needed for large sealed rooms and if you have good rck fans replacing the air in the groom every 2-3 minutes, the plants will get more than enough c02

4. sorry rumple I did not mean to upset you but have grown a few plants under a 400w hps in the passed
    The buds where about 10" long at best and the rest ended up being airy buds and then you tell me you have 4ft plants full of bud from a 400w hps its hard to believe

I have only grown a single plants under a 600w hps once, I like to growing 2-4 plants under a 600w hps

here my last 4 plants under 2 x 600w hps just before havest :)

canopy.jpg

SAM_2754.JPG

SAM_2756.JPG

5. #45 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
    Well you have to ask yourself, what is Rumple doing to get that kind of growth? I can give you a hint.... I don't trim the fan leaves.
    Proof is in the pudding.

Not upset at all. It is at best flattering and a huge complement. You saying my results are unbelievable or even impossible is making my head swell a bit. My grow friends in real life are not as kind as you. My results don't impress a lot of my colleagues (they have big grow rooms).

Be glad to share grow tips with you or anyone who wants to listen to my rhetoric. I like nothing more than to talk about growing weed.

My best advice is to keep at it and don't stop trying to improve. I have had to rethink all my methods several times.

Peace, R.

Agreed , i get over 500+ grams dried per harvest with my 400w , and by the looks of his pics the size and yield is pretty normal if u know what ure doing , in regards to how close to get the light to watering and nutrients . 
    Heck i remember my first grow got me so excited because i yielded about 300+ grams i wanted to do it right over again to see if i could yield more and normal for me is 1 month veggie plus 2 months flowering i get easy half a kilo dried. If i veggie for 5-6weeks and do topping i could get easy 700+ grams per harvest with only a 400W MH and HPS

7. #47 joe 60, Jul 17, 2013
    so with a 400w hps/mh you can get 700g's/ 25oz's of dry bud lol

took me 2x 600w hps/mh to pull this

2.JPG 1.JPG 3.JPG

so you got any pic's showing me 25 oz's of dry dank bud or the plants from a 400w

8. I usually only login with my smartphone and it doesn't allow me to upload pics . But honestly it's very normal to get 500+ grams dried per harvest with 1- 400w hid .
    I grow 4 plants at a time though and also I have to postion them twice a day so all sides get light daily .
    By what I can see on your grow with the pics u uploaded is

1. The light seems to be a bit to far . I keep my light 5-6" from the top of my plants .

2. Ur plants look pretty small like u didn't veggie long enough . Do at least 5 weeks veggie from the time it sprouts .

Also I don't cut any fan leafs even if they r dying , topping is probably the only thing I do with my girls so its nice and even .

As rumple said it's not uncommon to see high yields with a 400W light . That's the only reason I chimed in . I can send u some pics prv message if u like of what I cured a few months back which was 550grams dried . I've smoked probably 100 grams or more since then but still lol .
    Plus keep in mind some strains give lots more bud and weight then others. It's a genetics thing .

9. #49 joe 60, Jul 17, 2013
    I kept the 600w about 12" above the canopy and vegged the plants for a long time
    the canopy of the 4 plants is about 1.8m x 1m so the plants may not be tall, there very wide and level
    and the buds are large

this is one of the buds at the back of the canopy

SAM_2757.JPG

longest bud

bud.JPG

all the buds hanging to dry

group - Copy.JPG

10. I'd suggest get the light closer and next time do topping so all ur buds r big a$$ kola buds .
    But overall looking nice and juicy

im doing a mix myself, but when do you stop? can you do during flowering or nah?

12. #52 joe 60, Jul 17, 2013
    you can lst all throw flower and pinch some fan leaves off up to 7 days into flower
    but remove any fan leaves that are more than 50% yellow or brown at any time in flower

all the nodes need to have direct light and need to be 6-8 inches tall before flowering so you get the thich dank buds in flower,
    try and keep the canopy as level as you can, even if you need to tie some of the brances down

13. oh so it doesnt even matter with these autos they dont have enough time to do anything crazy

14. sorry fellow
    did'nt know you was growing auto's

never grown them before so I can't be much help
    but from what i have read, a bit of lst is the only safe way to go with auto's

15. Hello!

Here is day 49!
    What do you think? DSC_0258.jpg

16. #56 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
    Your plant looks healthy, but you can see how the lack of plant training will cost you on this harvest. The Christmas tree shape is ok for outdoor grows, but not very effective for indoor. I would start to bend the top a little every day with some string or a weight, but be careful, after flowering the stalk gets brittle.

Anything you can do to get the lamp lower, will increase your harvest and better the quality. But never remove the fan leaves (I think everyone has made this point already).

17. Much of this is over my head but I do appreciate the discussion. I'm just totally blown away by your harvest(s). My girls are ready and there is just no comparison. I have Bud envy. Crap. Oh well, I now have the experience of:
    trimming too many leaves
    over watering
    light too far
    light too close
    too much humidity
    too hot
    too cold
    powdery mildew
    gnats
    and now I think I have mold!! ARRGH! :mad:
    I get knocked down, but I get up again.... :devious:

18. #58 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013

Look at it this way, you got all your learning done at once. It took a long time for me to learn half the lessons your got from one grow.
    Best of luck.

19. Well shit fuck eyes and teeth....so screaming friggin' mad...3 of 5 have mold. Cut em all down. Hung up two that might make it. Trying desperately to save the one special so I chopped her, watered heavy, stuck her back under lights to see if she'll reveg......
    15 weeks down the crapper.....anything you can do with mostly good bud with mold? Besides burn it on trash pile?
    that was fast. Noticed it yesterday and it spread quick. Been chasing powdery mildew for awhile. Never saw this coming. And on the day before harvest.......insert scream here.

20. literally the day before? *pulls out hair*