Trimming Fan Leaves

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by n8razze, May 22, 2013.

1. #21 joe 60, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
    this is my yield from one plant when you remove the right fan leaves a soil mass of bud  :metal: :metal: :metal:

buds.JPG

2. #22 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 15, 2013
    Very nice, and yes you can harvest despite taking leaves. You use a 600 watt lamp to get that.

Like the OP, I grow with a 400 watt lamp and can show that with the right methods and care, you can out perform folks growing with much more light.

400 watts:
    [​IMG]

Lots of fan leaves help to get high yields.

3. nice one
    Ok so you can pull a very good yeild with a 400
    and yes I used a 600w

how long are those buds ?

4. #24 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 15, 2013

I have only measured the plants overall height (between 4' to 4.5")

A few branches from the same plant:
    [​IMG]

5. Thanks, i think i got it!

Well the pictures were taken around 1 hr after the the light came on, i guess that could be 1 reason for the leaves to be dropping. BUT i did make a big mistake and saved money by buying buckets rather then pots, so watering is serious, i put 300-400 ml at the moment every 2 days. Could that be too little?

6. @[member="Rumpleforeskin"]

Hmm i think if i grow again, i will include a net, i dont think i know anything about nets and how to put them (1st time grow). The only thing im really doing is using thread to tie branches to create more room for light downwards. Your yeilds are BIG. Im growing Northernlights autoflowering, dont know if i can get anywhere near that!

7. So from a 400w hps you are getting 3ft long dank buds wow
    may have to try leaving the leaves on next time as I can only get 14" max from my 600w hps
    The

8. I am not a big fan of any auto flowering strains (have not tried them all). They are fine if you are messing around in a PC tower grow, or very limited grow room height. But you can just flower early with any strain. I have grown Northern Lights in the past, the yields are good, just the overall strength of the high was moderate (compared to White Widow or Master Kush).
     Build a screen with a PVC frame fill with chicken-wire or stucco lath.

<a>[​IMG]</a>

9. I dont thin leaves either just lollipop..made my scrog screen from pvc and weed whacker line..saw a tutorial somewhere

10. They're no problem at all, just take a drill and drill couple of holes at the bottom of
    each bucket and give the plants a really good water till it runs out the bottom
    You really need to get the root mass soaked

11. Wow! That's an impressive yeild for 75 days!!  :)

I was realy hoping for someone to jump in here

rumpleforeskin I was looking at your plants and yield I was very impressed and spending your time helping newbies is great but you don't need to give new growers bad advice to make you look good

just take a look a hps light chart

HPS-Light-Distance-Chart.jpg

400w hps can only penetrate a canopy 21" and that includes the distance from the light to the canopy, so if you keep the light 12" above the canopy, the light can only penetrate 11" more and when the bud sites get less than 5,000 lums they become airy buds

so showing me branches full of buds over 2ft long is only possible with 1000w hps or an out side crop

I grow under a 600w hps and keep the light 12-14" above the canopy and can only get good qualty buds 14" into the canopy and try and get the buds to grow as thich as I can, some have been over 4" thick.

\t \t \t 

13. Dont pull a leaf unless its 50% or more damaged and yellowleaves. Indoor is great but nothingbeats growingunder the sun whenyou can.

14. #34 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 15, 2013

When someone does not believe my results are real, it is a true complement. I only grow with a 400 watt lamp (I have tested LEDs of slightly less wattage). I am truly flattered that you think they are impossible. I have worked real hard to get things working just right.
    Thank you so much. 

That chart is a good reference to how you should place the lamp from your tops. I give that chart out to new growers all the time.

What bad advice did I give?

15. @[member="joe 60"]

so wait... i just saw that chart for the lights.. i have mine at 50-60cm (20 inches) away from my plants is that too much? since the opitmal range for 400w reaches 5 inches and less.

16. #36 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 15, 2013
    If you are going to place your tops at the minimum distance, you better make sure your have proper cooling going the whole time the lamp is on.

Bring your bulb down to 12" from your tops, place your hand over the tops so the back of the hand is facing the bulb and your palm is just touching the tops. If you don't feel your hand heating up you are safe, and perhaps can inch the lamp down more.

My 400 watt lamp above my tops:
    [​IMG]

Frost on my cool-tube
    [​IMG]

17. #37 joe 60, Jul 15, 2013

The advice rumpleforeskin said is good, but adding a powerfull fan directed up towards the bulb, will reduce the canopy temperature
    and let you get the light a lot closer to the canopy and hanging a digital lcd termometer at the canopy level will tell you the max and mim temperature.

you want the canopy temp 30c max so if you can get the light 8" above the canopy and keep these temps in range its all good

you will increase your yeild a lot and give you some realy dank buds but as you temps increase over 30c, it seems to decreases the thc and buds are not as dank

its all about getting the light as close to the canopy as you can without any heat and then you will get the best yield you can :)

as you can see rumpleforeskin cool tube has ice in so he can get his light very close to the canopy (6-7" if he wants)

opitmal range : lights min distance from the canopy  to the lowest point where the good buds can grow

so a 600w is good from 8" to 29"

so if you have a 600w hps 14" above the canopy the light can only penetrate the canopy 15" (max)
    any lower will be airy buds at best so most growers lolpop the lower growth

18. #38 joe 60, Jul 15, 2013

telling newbie's  you can grow plants 4ft high, bushy and full of buds will just knock most growers confidence when they look at there grow/yeild

I can now see your cool tube has ice in and you could of let the plants grow up the sides of the cool tube
    and pulled this yeild but most growers will never have the setup to grow like this

19. Well, I was not giving advice on how tall to grow a plant. It was you asking about the length of my pictured buds, I gave you an honest answer. Not sure how I could have fielded that any different.

I don't think growers should hide success from anyone (new or experienced), it allows folks to see what hard work and applied home science can get you. To hide my results from new growers is ridiculous and a disservice to the forum. 

The light chart is a reference, and obviously some growth can occur past optimal ranges. It would have been better to ask me some  questions on how I get the most from such a small lamp, then to cast doubt on my character/honesty.

How tall you can grow a plant and how much you can yield has too many variables to be answered by anyone.

One more thing, I am not the king of the 400 watt harvest (not by a long shot). Lots of folks here on the forum humble me daily with incredible results from the same lamp. I'm inspired by better results, it gives me hope and drives me forward in this hobby.

20. #40 joe 60, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    you have over 5,000 posts and been on here a long time and don't think many growers will believe my words over yours

so I wrote that post to keep the piece (even know you grow the plant under a 1000w)  in hope you would drop it, but now I will show you why I trim the fan leaves,

3.JPG good.JPG

chopped plant 2.JPG mainbud.JPG

level canopy.JPG

ssh bud.JPG       plant.JPG
    top.JPG green.JPG

The top plant was 1 of 4 (first picture)
    I had 4 of these plants under a 600w in the winter 
    so the light was 10" off the canopy