Trimming Fan Leaves In Flower

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by TheQuibbler, Apr 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hi.
    This is my first grow, so everything I do is new, and only based on what I have read.

I have tried to find information about trimming the fan leaves doing flower. Problem is, that it seems to be entirely split in the middle. Half the information say to never trim fan leaves, while the other half says to do it.

Because of this I thought I would try to make a thread, and see what the opinion of this forum is. Both in general, and in regard to my situation.

I am 4 weeks into flower, and the top of the canopy looks great.
    My two plants are topped, kept down and grown through a scrog line for support.
    The grow space is 58x58cm, with a 275watt LED.
    IMG_20180428_141607.jpg IMG_20180428_141900.jpg

I am worried that I might have overcrowded the room, and that it will hurt the size and yield of the lower buds. The top buds have been increasing in size nicely. The problem is the lower buds, those near my scrog line.
    IMG_20180428_141634.jpg

IMG_20180428_141835.jpg IMG_20180428_141727.jpg
    These two pictures show the lower buds on two different stalks, on the same plant. The left picture, is from a stalk in the middle of the canopy. The right picture, is from a stalk at the edge of the canopy.

From the information I were able to find, some people say that only the leaves on the buds, are directly responsible for the size of the buds. This speaks for trimming the fan leaves.
    When I try to look at the two stalks under the grow light, it looks like the small buds are getting more light directly on the buds, than the larger buds.

But what do you guys with some experience think?
    Should I just let the grow continue as it is, or do I need to trim some of the fan leaves?

Also, how would I trim the leaves. It is no longer possible to really get in and pull them off near the stalk, like when I removed the bottom growth. Should they just be cut where convenient?

2. Wow looks really good!! You did a good job lollipopping, it might be to late to trim the rest of the fan leaves, im not positive though, but if it were my grow i would have cut all the fan leaves off during flower

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. All those fan leaves are blocking light to getting to your lower buds, and of course you would probably get better airflow with them gone, i dont think you really need them for flowering anyways, i mean i guess it depends on the strain

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. And that is my problem with whether to do it or not. Half the information I have found, said the fan leaves are not used to grow the buds, while the other hallf said that they are used for growing the buds.

But, your experience is that I would need to cut some growth to get more light down to the small buds, or they will not grow bigger?

5. If you trim the fan leaves that are causing shade to lower buds you will be fine.. just dont go crazy. Think of it this way. People say removing those leaves takes away the food and sugars for the plant (energy). But the plant is wasting that energy trying to grow those lower buds because there not getting enough light. So basically wasted energy because the buds that dont get enough light will be fluffy and airy. Does that make any sense?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1