Trimming During Flowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Yehoshua, Aug 9, 2014.

1. So I have 4 girls, and they just entered full swing flowering this last week and I have a few questions I need answered. I need to know if I should trim the bottom foliage for maximum growth up top and how much should be trimmed from the bottom if so. Any answers would be greatly appreciated and if you guys wanna see pics just let me know. Thanks, Yehoshua.

In Mary We Trust.

2. Ive experimented with this and have been thinking of trimming my gdp lower branches as they arent as flowered as the top colas. But, ive heard mixed reviews. Some people swear by it and some people claim in the long run the bud given to the top will just equal out to the same weight as the popcorn branches you trimmed..

Sent from my SM-G730V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. So you think I should just leave it alone? I mean I have a lot of lower branches. I've heard that if you don't trim them you just waist energy on them that could have been used on the top colas

In Mary We Trust.

4. Yeah thats the argument..some say that it wastes energy whereas others say it ends up being the same. Id say its preference. If you want to trim them it wont hurt the plant or your yield I believe.

5. I mean that's one thing out the way but what about trimming shock? I've heard if you trim during flowering that it puts the plant into some sort of shock and it hinders the plant growth for a certain amount of time. Any ideas on that?

In Mary We Trust.

6. Ive heard that too, havent had much experience with it. If you have a lot of time outdoors left or are still in veg, it doesnt matter. Just dont trim too much matter off the plant and youll be okay.

7. That's the problem they just started to go full swing flowering this last week and this is my first outdoor grow the last for I've had successfully were all indoor and I never really trimmed then

In Mary We Trust.

8. How many branches do you want to trim? And what is the length of them and bud production compared to your favorable colas?

9. I'll PM you some pics but the plants are all about 4 - 5 ft I'm trying to keep them small and bushy. And that's a question that varies because some are big while others are small and some have bud and other have none.

In Mary We Trust.

10. #10 bigc29, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
    not for outdoor but for indoor, yes
    and only when in veg

11. Id trim all that dont have bud and leave ones that have potential.

12. Well I can't PM you pics so I'll post them here

In Mary We Trust.

13. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414223491.527239.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414223508.796308.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414223517.792983.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414223531.260375.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414223542.660189.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414223563.212510.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414223585.979434.jpg
    Here are my ladies

In Mary We Trust.
    In the third pic you can see how long one branch is on the right side they stretch to about a foot or two

In Mary We Trust.

14. Yeah that's what I had thought thanks for the input bro.

In Mary We Trust.

15. no problem man, all looks good bro :)

16. From the looks of those plants i would suggest snipping off the bottom 6" or so. And cleaning up any small interior leaves and bud sites on the lower 12-16". Its definitely not to late yet to trim them up!

17. For future references you never trim up your girls after they have started the budding cycle. You risk loosing final weight do to stress therefore you're better off letting them go. The best time to trim up is in veg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app