Triming Lower Branches?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bearspray, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Alright guys my plants are about 3 weeks old, and im thinking about trimming the lower branches that has only 1 and 3 leafs each, can i do it right now or i should wait before flowering?

2. doing it early wont' kill ya. i say lollipop those suckers.

3. I say not. Lower branches are useful as a buffer against any problems the more nodes you have the more hormones your plant triggers with the switch to flower. Not my iidea. but I have it from a good source and this advice has gone far for my garden.

4. Hope is right. If there's a problem sometime in the future that affects the lower leaves, it's better for it to start on smaller, less important ones. Leaves also process food and you usually want to leave on as many as possible for maximum yields.

5. [quote name='"bearspray"']Alright guys my plants are about 3 weeks old, and im thinking about trimming the lower branches that has only 1 and 3 leafs each, can i do it right now or i should wait before flowering?[/quote]

I'd wait. How long do you plan to veg? 3 weeks is kind of young IMO. By that age you haven't really seen what the branches will shape into. You may be trimming off what would be the main branches. I like to top, let the bottom branches catch up with the top, the clean up any lower scraggly branches as the plant gets bigger. But those branches are usually growing out of what you are talking about cutting off now.

6. I make the lowest branches my clones. If you don't want to make them clones keep them on until flower, like mamma said those lower branches might work there way up into good buds even without topping. It won't hurt the plant cutting them off early in flower.

BeZ...V

7. Alright guys thanks a lot for all the advices, im gonna leave them on until flowering, and btw i just started toping my plants. at the 5th nodes, should i top them everytime a new node forms until flowering, and can i alternate between toping/fimming?

8. I don't bother topping... Just lst... cutting plants is like musical notes- not about the notes you make, it's about the silence in between them...