Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Trim vs flower

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by potfiend, Nov 26, 2020.

1. I have a connection that mentioned he had a large amount of trim to dispose of and wasn’t sure how to price it. I know it can be used for edibles, but have no idea what the ratio of return is versus just using flower. Thus I have no idea of the monetary ratio either.
    My thought is to decarb, make a tincture, distill off most of the alcohol for future reuse, then let the remainder evaporate and mix with oil and lecithin. (Too much bulk to leave trim in oil)

His product is excellent. I know there are members that utilize their trim in similar fashion. Can someone help me understand what my rate of return might be on a ounce of trim vs an ounce of flower?

And Happy Thanksgiving to all.

2. #2 BrassNwood, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Generally I find trim to be worthless. Cost more in solvent then the return is worth even if your recovering all your alcohol. However, My trim is big fans and the larger sugars as I don't trim close. Shaggy hippy trim is good enough for me as I smash it for Kief.

Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture, RSO

Most of my Alcohol Tincture to reduced RSO tar and it's Coconut oil infusion and capping is all here.

I'd offer to split the end product with him and see if he'll split the cost of the 190 proof with you.
    I'd not pay for the trim until after the first batch and see what you actually recover. If it's a bust your not out $$ and pissed about it.
    [​IMG]

After I power shake all my buds for Kief I'm left with a couple of pounds of herb that looks like rough grind and ready to roll up. I decarb that and make tincture.
    A full quart of Bud scraps and a full fifth of near frozen 190 proof. Shake 10 seconds and press out with a potato ricer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The pot still recovers the Alcohol and leaves me a cup of water with the cannabinoids in it.

[​IMG]
    Overnight under a fan leaves me with.
    [​IMG]
    RSO tar.
    To this I add a roughly equal amount of Coconut oil and a dash of Lecithin and work the tar into the oil with a short 20 minutes at 220 F.

[​IMG]

The result gets capped just like I do my Kief-Hash caps.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've been playing around with making kief out of trim.
    I use only the sugar leaves and other leaves with trichomes, while tossing the big fan leaves.
    Using a dry sift method returns about 1/6 of the original dry trim weight, but it has some plant matter, and has potency similar to flower.
    So my ballpark answer is to pay about 1/6 as much for trim as for flower.

• Like Like x 2