Trim and cure question (sugar leaves and masson jars)

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by fullpampers, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Hi,

1 of my two plants from my first grow is now dried and potted to begin curing.

I had one trimming question, and one curing question.

When I trimmed I didn't go crazy on sugar leaves since I am going to be vaporizing and didn't want to waste trichromes. I also won't sell any weed, so the look of the buds is not as important to me. Is this okay? I still have one plant to trim and will change the way I trim if this is wrong.

For curing: I got some 56oz wide mouth jars. growweedeasy says you are better off with 32oz wide mouth jars. I just though the bigger ones were the 32oz and didn't really check... I got 84 grams in the pot for curing. Should I split it up in two 32oz jars or this is okay? If my jars are regular mouth, is it really bad or should i get wide mouth?

thanks for any help!

2. You can trim it however you want. Theres no wrong way if its your own. I usually keep jars half full with 62% humipacks in them and burpb every day doing a slow cure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. just just went to get a smell and shake the buds around a little to see how it's going (it's only been in the jar since this morning, but I was curious).

I am going to split it up into 2 jars, so the buds are less clumped up together. When I was shaking them the bottom ones seemed to be too cramped to my liking.

4. Don’t be too concerned with the size of the jars, as long as they’re not totally stuffed and overcrowded and can get some good airflow around the nugs when you burp them you’ll be good. I cure in small jars of jam and pasta sauce that I washed out lololol

• Like Like x 1
  5. i'm not 100% sure everything is right...

I dried the stalks upside down for 7 days. my basement is around 65F @ 30-40%RH. small bud snapped off and when I was cutting the buds off, I thought I might have over dried them. since I was under the recommended RH I though they would dry faster.

When I open my jars, I have a sharp smell. They did smell somewhat like that when they were drying. I have a bottle of ammonia and I compared. The smell is not the same but the weed smell does have a certain "sting" to it. I'm not 100% sure (this is my first time drying and curing, and smelling white widow...).

The outside of the buds seemed dry (not sticky) when I cut them off the stalk. when I squeezed them they felt a little "spongy".

Should I toss the buds in a paper bag with paper clippings for a couple of days to be on the safe side? I've read it's better to err on the side of a little too wet than too dry.

Thanks!

6. update:

I just went and did a side by side smell test with the bottle of ammonia. It's not the same. I'll check again tomorrow morning.

the buds feel dry to the touch and are not spongy anymore the one i checked was hard when I squeezed it.

7. Don’t over think this. Read some more curing threads, and chill my brother.

8. I did read a lot of curing threads. I’m still reading.

I’m just not sure about the smell... When I open the jars, there is still that sharp smell. It is sort of softening (I think).

I’ll check tonight when I come back from work.

I might put the buds in a paper bag for a couple of days just to be sure.

I would be really pissed to have waited all this time just to fuck it up at the dry/cure phase...

I think I did everything right. The buds seemed dry when I out them in the jars. They don’t seem to be sticking together in the jars.

If I did put the buds a little too wet and I tame them out after 2-3 days in the jars, will they come out okay?

9. So last night when I came home from work I checked the jars. One of them had the sharp smell, the other did somewhat but less.

I put them all in a brown paper bag. I checked this morning and the smell had improved. I’ll leave them in the bag for 3-4 days, shaking them up daily, and try the jars again. Hopefully I didn’t fuck up my harvest too bad.

I also have another plant to cut down in the next days.

10. Let me know. Curious how this turned out

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I just put the buds in the jar this morning.

The smell is definitely better after 4 days in the bag. I think part of it is just that’s the smell of the strain. Although it did improve.

When I first jarred the buds, I had 84 grams. After the paper bag, I had 78 grams. So I’m guessing I jarred them a little too wet.

Hopefully everything pans out after the cure.

12. check every day for moisture
    if it adds up on buds then let buds get air until theyre hard.

then jar again i usually fill the jars with little room (not fully packed).. open twice + every day for a 5-10 mins.. keep in dark place..
    after a month the smoke gets real good..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk