Tried going vegan

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Trogdor, Apr 17, 2016.

1. You were either overweight/fat or under-eating.

You lose muscle when you under-eat.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I couldn't find the omega 3 content of algae, but I'd be willing to bet VERY few vegans eat enough algae to get adequate doses of EPA and DHA, which is why I think any knowledgeable professional would recommend supplementation.

As far as creatine, I don't know if your body can produce adequate amounts, particularly if you are fairly active. Plus, the benefits and safety of creatine are hard to pass up.

3. Very few meat eaters get enough of any micronutrient. They also tend to be b12 deficient too. Because, you know, cows need to be fed b12 supplements in order for you to get it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I am working my way into a ketogenic diet. I am/was admittedly a sugar addict and have tried reducing my intake before, to little avail. This time, however, things are going much better. I have drastically reduces sugar intake, especially from shitty sources. I am lean and fit, so excess sugar has no noticeable effect on my appearance, but I know full well it's a poison in unreasonable doses.

I doubt I have been in a state of ketosis, I won't give up my French toast (sprouted grain bread) with raspberries and maple syrup for breakfast. Aside form that, I get low amounts of simple carbs and carbs in general.

Do you know if xylitol has any effect of ketosis? I like my sweets, especially homemade cookies, it'd be a tragedy to completely abstain.

5. I wasn't looking to argue, I think you would agree vegans should supplement EPA and DHA, you are just pointing out a vegan source I think? I would wholeheartedly agree, if you don't want animal products, definitely get those fatty acids from algae, eaten or supplemented oil.

I don't doubt your claim about meat eaters, although I wouldn't grant it either. A good portion of Americans (assuming this is the demographic you are referring to) eat completely mindlessly and therefore horrible diets.

6. No I'm talking about the animal product eating demographic around the world. They eat group 1 and 2A carcinogens. They also consume seafood products laden with heavy metals. Then they want to talk to people about health.

Omega-3 ALA can be converted to both EPA/DHA in the body.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The conversion efficiency from ALA to DHA is 0.5% and EPA around 5%

I give health advise out of love and concern. I spend a massive portion of my free time educating myself, and not everyone has that time or drive, so I try to help when I can.

I never said eat meat, in fact I want to stop eating meat but for health benefits, I won't yet until more research is present.

As far as heavy metals, yes that can be a concern, primarily in larger/longer living seafood sourves where the metals have time to build up in their tissue. This is why I limit my salmon and tuna, and have been trying to instead eat herring, sardines and oysters. A healthy body can clear heavy metals.

I do worry about heavy metal poisoning, as I have plenty of mercury amalgam fillings in my teeth, giving me a constant dose of mercury. Eating foods like broccoli, cauliflower etc can increase your glutathione which chelates mercury very well. Grass fed cold processed whey protein has also been shown to increase glutathione.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you consume mostly organic or wild sourced food you really don't have to worry. I was vegan for years and never felt sick or any deficiency's. I felt 100x better then when i consumed processed meats or dairy. Fish was known to be highly contaminated due to Fukushima radiation and other pollutants so i stayed away from that too. To replace the EPA/DHA like is mentioned i was aware about the percentages but then again i had a stronger belief that nature will take care of me and should provide everything we need as i understood how the human body works. The superfoods i consumed were not even close studied enough by professionals to understand how they work on the human body.

I always looked for the best of the best superfoods in order to find an ultimate source that provides everything we need. I consumed Hemp/Chia/Flax seeds and oils, Marine Phytoplankton, Spirulina, Chlorella and E3 Live and other natural plant-sourced sources of healthy fats and a little bit every day mixing it up, sometimes having this sometimes that and for years i felt great and never had problems, Never went to the doctors, Mind and body felt sharp and energized as ever and never really fell for any of the studies or new age B-12, Iron, Protein, DHA/EPA myths as i called them because i never noticed any downsides to this lifestyle.

I now am more towards the RAW FOOD lifestyle as i feel even lighter and sharper and more free in a way. The mind seems much happier/calmer. I noticed bread/wheat/gluten was causing problems so i have to cut that out too.

I do enjoy the occasional lightly heated/steamed or cooked meals/veggies and probably have sprouted bread every once in a while and fermented white goats cheese sometimes i like to add with a salad. I just noticed i have fermented cod liver oil in the fridge i do use that every once in a while but i try to stay away from animal products all together because i strongly believe we are at a stage of evolution where we no longer need all these things to survive.

The less i consume the better i feel and the more connected and calmer i feel. I guess i shouldn't mix spirituality with vegan or diet/health as this is a different section but in a way it was a calling that helped my body and mind come into balance and start working properly again. I believe the power of the mind-body has a huge role in health and well-being. If you can control and program it the way you want i believe you can survive and thrive much better then just diet alone.

If you do consume fish i would look into "Wild caught" or "Fresh Water" i believe was another good one. I think i used to consume Alaskan Wild Salmon which was my favourite but since watching Dr.M Gregers videos from Nutritionfacts.org there is many updated info that even that might be contaminated these days.

I guess this is what happens when the world is run by ignorant psychopaths that only care about themselves.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #30 Wisdom Tooth, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    I'll have to go back to some videos that had a great conversation going on about EPA/DHA for Vegans because i was about to buy a product myself but i am pretty sure it was explained much better by experts that understand the human body so i never ended up buying it. I'll probably get back to this later when i find them conversations again.. Here is some info on MP Marine Phytoplankton that is said to be a good EPA/DHA vegan source.Clean Omega 3 EPA - Marine Phytoplankton - RawSuperfoods.com

• Like Like x 1
  10. How do you drop filtered water from your diet

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'm not a vegan, but there's a lot to properly sustaining a vegan diet. Best to both read a book on how to be a vegan and have a vegan mentor to help you.

Most vegans that start later in life (aka teen or adult), first drop meat for a couple months, but keep eggs/milk on the diet before dropping that also.

And 10 days isn't a very long time to try out a vegan diet.

12. Very good point, 10 days is not enough.

It depends on your eating habits before hand though. The gut bacteria plays a vital role in food assimilation, if you suddenly eat foods quit different from your normal diet, there is a good chance you don't have a healthy population of gut baterica to process the new foods. It'd be best to transition over a period of time. I have been transitioning my diet for probably 3 years now, but I would think a few months would suffice (don't take my word for it, research for yourself)

Another problem can be antibiotics, it can take over a year to recover if you ever fully recover.

So yea, phase in the foods you intend to subside on, and phase out the foods you wish to eliminate.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I hear ya about needing time to transition. I thought just because I could eat all the beans and veggies I wanted without it upsetting my stomach anymore that I was ready.

That obviously didn't mean my body could extract all the protein it needed from them. I was turning into a skeleton and developed a thigh gap.

I've been back on meat for a while now and have recovered, but it gave me really bad gas at first because my body was already losing acclimation to it.

Next time I try, it will be a more gradual transition and in an environment where I'm not judged by those who see me eat.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Just curious, do you know if you were getting adequate calorie intake?

I am not vegan, but I have a very difficult time maintaining weight no matter what I eat. So, whenever I cook veggies, I cook them in loads of fat, 2-3 tablespoons of butter and or coconut oil. You can use olive oil too, but I wouldn't cook with olive oil, especially EVOO, it is not a stable oil for higher heat.

In fact I add lots of healthy fats to everything. Chia seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, cashews, walnuts, avocado, whatever you like! Hope that helps your next attempt.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Question is brother what really is our natural weight? What really should we look like naturally?
    Some vegans are very thin and skinny but feel great and have high energy, others are muscular and look healthy based on what society expects is healthy but at the same time they are only muscular based on their lifestyle.

Look at Vegan bodybuilder Frank Medrano for example he doesn't really eat that much but due to his training he looks muscular and we say he is healthy. I don't believe you need to have an athletes body to be healthy.

To take it bit more extreme look at Jericho Sunfire for example he is mostly Breatharian, lives off light juices, fruits and water probably consumes 3-500 calories a day as well but trains every day full body workout and has a well structured muscular form as the body is being pushed/pumped daily.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NorseMythology,
    I didn't count calories, but I pretty much doubled up on carbs. I did add healthy fats to everything like you described.

Wisdom Tooth,
    I work construction, so I have to work outside and lift heavy shit all day. Eating vegan, I was getting very weak and freezing my ass off. (yes I was taking vitamin supplements to combat any possible deficiency I could think of) I couldn't function at work anymore, so it wasn't just a body image issue.

• Like Like x 1

17. xylitol is harmful to dogs.... in case you didn't know.

Hi ya'll! I'm not here to start shit, just to make a few observations. I live in Loma Linda, the SDA capital, where everybody is a plant muncher and exercise freak. We call them cabbage heads. lol. Without the tanning bed they are all white pale, with pink cheeks and nose. They the (SDA) vary from big fatties to gaunt pow's and their complexion is all the same it's almost translucent. My niece had a boyfriend who tried for over a year to be a vegan. Maybe it was just me but it seemed like he just wanted to be the center of attention. They would come over for a bbq often and he would wander around eating his bag of nuts. One day he brings over his "special" meat for the bbq, and I said WTF, I thought you didn't eat meat. He said I got hungry! lol. Carry-on! lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. If I had a dog I'd feed it some... Jk, I love animals.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ha haa ha... I'm sure I've given cowboy, the cattle dog a few doses. Good luck with your journey!