trichome time table

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by iamnotacrook, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I am growing blue widow (blueberry x white widow) in DWC and am in flowering stage and was wondering if anyone would have an estimate for how long it takes for the trichomes to become 70% amber. I would like to switch to distilled water the last week or two to eliminate the metallic taste, but I'm not sure when to switch. Biggest lesson learned on this first grow=keep better journals lol!

Pic included in attachment

Thank you for any info!

Attached Files:

2. Well, first of all, you will need at least a 60x microscope to see the trichromes.
    70% amber is quite a bit and will probably extend your flowering an additional 2 weeks.
    Try 50/50 unless it's truly the effect that you desire.

I prefer only about 10% amber.

3. thank you zeek!

I was looking for the higher percent of amber trichomes as this will be used as a sleep aid. So are you saying that there is no other indication on when to harvest other than getting a 60x magnifier? If there are others, what other indications may there be? Unfortunately I didn't take very good notes and I'm not sure of my timetable (what week I'm at for flowering). Thanks again.

4. Many people will go buy the colors of the pistols, but they generally are familiar with the particular strain. Some strains may have all brown pistols and still show lots of clear trichromes.

You can get a 60x microscope at radio shack for 15$

5. I also believe that you can tell that a plant is nearly fully ripe once the pistils not only turn brown, but they also wither and recede back into the calyx. I usually have a great deal of amber in most of my strains by this point.

Also mine stop taking up water as quickly as they did in mid flower. Usually going from about 1 water every 3 or 4 days to once a week the final two weeks. Once they dry out the pot for that last time I go ahead and chop at that point.

6. thank you everyone for the great info! I did get the microscope at radio shack for $12.99 (60-100x magnification). I will take a look when my lights come back on for the day cycle.

thanks again

7. dont check the tricomes yet its way to soon and if you check to often you loose thc content from touching those juicy buds plus you got a long time to go before even thinking bout harvest those buds will look 100% different by that time you will c im growin blue widow also but not DWC im at 9 weeks and 5 days and im still waiting two more weeks if you go on rollitup.org and look up the same user name my avatar pic is the blue widow at seven weeks i know i have shit for rep but thats only bcause i got sick of reading pointless forums that gave me the run around on good info everyone says this and that so i got the greg green cannabis bible

8. I agree with this. letting it go that long will degrade the thc, from what I've read. I would say 50/50 absolute max. but I'm no expert, just my opinion from my experience