trichome fiend's zero veg minifarm!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by trichome fiend, Dec 17, 2010.

1. I dont know about him with the lucas formula, cant remember quite frankly, I just remember that he spoke about plants taking up the water at an even rate so that there was no use in changing out every week or so like so many suggest. I just wanted to point out that given my setup I just add 5 gals per week to my res. and everything stays constant.
    I need to go check his thread, I cant remember what he was doing with nutes, I just wanted to update ya on my experiment with the all in one powder nutes.

Im not sure what your saying that he wouldnt approve of? help??

2. Quote Originally Posted by isabella2002 View Post
    How often do you change your nutrient in your four main tanks.
    Every 15 days.

A recent change to 125L tanks has reduced the need to top with water to 1x week. The tank volume is now pretty closely matched to the water and nute consumption of the plants; ppm stays fairly steady as water is used up through the week.

If the tanks are fully topped with plain water at the end of the week, the apparent nutrient strength will drop according to what the plants have eaten. I aim for 1300-1500 when mixing. Tank 2 (wk 2-4) is the hungriest. It will drop to 700-800 ppm if all the water volume is replaced at the end of the week. That's a bit lower than I would like, so I don't always fill that tank all the way to the top. I refill it while watching a nute meter. It will still be on 1300-1500 until more water is added. I stop adding water when it hits about 1100ppm.
    This was take from al's thread. I just wanted to point out what he was saying about the nute/water consumption of his plants being close to the volume of his res. per week.

My res is about half this size but then again I am running half the size tray and plants but i use 1000 watters as well.

I see now he changed solution every 15 days, Yeah he would'nt approve of my every 8 weeks but I just dont see the need when the res volume is matched with the plant consumption.

Make sense? or am I just really freakin high?

3. ...Al isn't a fan of "all in one fertz," and he recommends using the whole 3 part rather than the Lucas.

...I think Al uses House and Garden, can't remember

4. We never got to see much of his plants but you have proven the lucas formula to work very well, I would even venture to say that you do much better than he from all of your grows posted here. I am just trying the one part because with all the other stuff to keep up with my brain is fried by the time it comes to measure out seperate nutes. Everything runs so smooth now, ebb/flow is truely the most reliable way to grow hydro.

5. ...I agree bro, all the snake oils outthere with all the advertising they do, I rarely even look at other products...it's General Hydroponics til' the wheels fall off this wagon for me ;)

6. 3 weeks flower in 6" pot rather than the 4" pots. quickgrow nutes.

Attached Files:

7. Serious signs of calcium def. The quickgrow-bud doesnt have any in it for some reason and I could add cal-mag but then that would defeat the whole reason for keeping it simple. Have you seen the lucas formulas using maxibloom only? looks promising. I will try this next batch, look here lucasformula.com

-TGL-

8. ...yeah, I've seen maxibloom grows...one day I may just try that maxibloom....that would be something I would try just because they say on these boards that it's the lucas, but I've never done the research on that....right now though, I have a boat load of fertz...

9. I picked up a bag today along with a much needed 50l bag of rocks. I ran out of micro and bloom a while back so I thought I'd give it a shot. Having some issues right not getting my 1000 hps covering the 4x8 table length. Are you using 2 600 watters to cover the space?

10. ...I use 3 x 600's over a 4' x 8' table most of the year...in the worse of the summer I sometimes do drop it down to 2 x 600's over the same table.

11. Hugh your grow looks just as crowded... your plants are just as crowded as mine???

I also grow the clones a week longer as the strand requires .

12. #852 trichome fiend, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    ...not quite. I have 3 x 600's over a 4'x 8' table....and my plants only get about 1 foot tall = intense light from top to bottom. ( a true SoG [sea of green])

...your plants are going to be 4-5 feet tall and you will not have optimal growth with 20 x 4-5 foot plants under one single 1000 watt bulb......your going to have to raise the light sooOOOOooo far away to cover that type of area, that your buds will be mostly popcorn.

13. What's your opinion on 2 600w in a 6x4x8 room? Think it would be sufficient light coverage? (I lollipop the bottom 3 inches or so)

14. 2 x 600's over a 4' x 8' does well, but the 600 has a 3' x 3' footprint ...I wouldn't fill the whole table

15. I want to fire up my second 1000 watt hps but I know when it warms back up theres no way I can keep the temps down. I'm bidding on some 600 watt ballasts right now and installing extra AC early spring. The 1000's pack it on for sure but after running them for 2 years now I believe that a few 600's spread out and dropped a little lower would be more efficient. Just too much heat to deal with even with the cool tubes, the radiant heat is the problem.

16. 6 weeks on mountain goo with the quickgrow nutes. Never again. Also 10 in the second tray week 1 with maxibloom and florolicious plus.

Hows you current run looking?

Attached Files:

17. Oh, you can see the plants that I topped twice only produced as much as the plants with a single cola. No more topping for me and I need to go down to 600 watts so I can ge the light closer. Those 4 right down the middle are about 18".

-TGL-

18. Miss you Trichome )..=

Updates?

Hope all are well!

Sent from my PC36100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. #859 SmallBoxGrow, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
    Some killer looking plants man, very nice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that your grow single cola plants? Is that what I'm seeing? And if so, HOW????

I have a small box, and I mean small, and am trying my damnedest to figure out how to increase my yield. I'm only growing 4 at a time and the box is so small it only uses CFLs. I have blocks of wood I put under the reservoir to raise it and get really tight node growth but with so limited of a space, I'm thinking all the extra branching causes less light to reach everything well enough. Got to thinking and have been wondering about trying single cola plants but was unsure of how to go about it.

First pic is the box and second is current grow.

Have 3 Blue Mystic (supposed to have neutral smell while growing which is big plus for me) grown from seed and a couple of whatever in the back from clones. Took those about a week to get roots in the water.

The clones have been trimmed a bit in the hopes of making them single cola plants, but I don't know what I'm doing so... :)  it's all an experiment in the end anyway. LOL

You can see how tight the node growth is on the Blue Mystic and that happens with any strain I've tried so long as I use the wood blocks to raise the res to the light (I know, usually you bring the light down to the plants but in this case the light is fixed so there ya go.

I end up with a SCROG grow in the end just because of necessity due to the small box. As you can see (well maybe since it is a kinda dark pic) it is a SMALL ASS box.

Any suggestions? IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0869.JPG