trichome fiend's zero veg minifarm!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by trichome fiend, Dec 17, 2010.

1. #61 trichome fiend, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011

...sure, from fem seed to mother, I've been running the fem Big Bud for some time now...however I have recently ordered Big Bud reg, and have germ'd and are veg'n now.

2. awesome! I want to order seeds in the future and those Big Buds look pretty dang sweet! Sensi Seeds def getting some more attention...ever flower the Jack Flash or reg Jack Herer from Sensi Seeds?

3. #63 trichome fiend, Feb 14, 2011

...naw, I do hear good things about that Jack Herer though. My Sensi Seed's Big Bud is a hermie that I've been growing for a couple years now, however, it doesn't pollenate or seed any other strains in my flowering room. It produces false seed that aren't viable, hollow seeds would best describe it....so, decided to order Big Bud reg this round to get true females....

4. Those look like they stretched more than your previous, or they just may be a little larger. And I will point out they are some of the healthies plants around! Thats why you yeild so much off each plant! I imagine the smoke is super powerful as well. Have you ever grown any og strains in your history of growing?
    -Bug

5. trichome fiend, your grow is looking great! I've got a few questions if you don't mind.

What size are the square plastic containers you're growing these ladies in? What's the spacing on them? Is this the setup where you contruct the box out of 2 x 6s and then use a plastic liner to hold the water when it floods. How is your resevior set up? Feeding schedule?

Thanks a lot man. Looking at doing something like this.

6. After checking your journal I liked your idea for the panda plastic to cover your flood trays. Originally I was trying to use some cut out foam but it wasn't good.

But now after getting the idea from you I bought 10' x 10' sheet of panda plastic and covered my flood tray. Looks like it'll work perfect, thanks!

7. #67 trichome fiend, Feb 15, 2011

...good eye! ...this is true :mad:. This Big Bud fem strain was ordered years ago and has been grown from clone to mothers over and over again. It has been a true pain in the ass as far as stretch is concerned...when it starts, it don't stop. I believe this happens throughout the clone process, due to low light....genetics are a suspecsion also, I wish I would've ordered more than 2 fem Big Bud @ that time.
    ...I've come to the conclusion that, if you find a strain you want to keep...order the regular (NON FEM) seeds of the strain ( I suggest a 10 pack ) germ them all at the same time and let them veg until they show sure signs of sex...discard the males, then chose the female with the best leaf to stem ratio for your mother....flower or discard the others.
    ...seeds do not work like clones. Each seed is a sister or brother of eachother....each sister has potential to be different from the other ladies, and stand out as a larger producer, grow stronger, faster....therefore, to find a really great mother plant one should order many seeds. Sensi Seeds actually states that 25% of the Big Bud strain has, " a special something"

...and, I'm growing that Kandy Kush now...it's OG Kush x Trainwreck :D

8. #68 trichome fiend, Feb 15, 2011

...I have 2 different setups here. The one I believe your referring to, is done with 3" netted pots planted into 6" square pots flood scetch.jpg

...the flooding of your tables will be dependent on a few different things, I suggest reading this page which contains a form to calculate your irrigation frequency, linked here >>> Cannastats - Ebb/Flow Tips

....the poly is cut to size the floodbed, tapped down, then I cut a "X" for each plant site (i.e. square pots). The poly keeps the light away from the roots that grow from under the pots... while keeping the humidity levels in check, it also provides a nice humid environment for the root system.

...the other setup I've come up with, is 4"x4" fencepost, cut to the length of the floodbed with 3" circles for plant sites (i.e. 3" netted pots)
    fencepost design (b).jpg
    ....I positon the fencepost where I'd like them to be, then cover the table with poly cut to size and tape it down, then i cut my circles out, followed by simply dropping my 3" netted pots down into the fencepost.

fecepost ebb and flow design (d).jpg

Attached Files:

9. ...the panda poly does wonders to keep your humidity levels in check, while stopping light from reaching your roots, preventing mold/mildew and allowing them to grow, grow, grow...more roots = bigger plants = bigger buds.

....I've found those foam boards work great for res lids! ;)

10. wurd! that's exactly what I did with the left over foam :smoke:

check it here post #45
    http://forum.grasscity.com/hydropon...our-kush-lsd-600w-ebb-flow-3.html#post9588527

11. ...nice work there I might add! :bongin: You may find that the poly, if air tight around your pots, will vacuum down towards the water as it drains. I stuff my finger down the side of my pots and give a little pull upwards every few days. The poly seems to lose its elasticity after a few pulls.

12. I did notice that....I took a few pots out and pulled the poly up the sides of the pots to even it out...it was sagging low into the nutrient solution during the flood cycle. Hopefully it's better now.

Thanks for the heads up

13. ...no problem. It will not be an issue either way for you, rest easy....it has just become a pet peeve of mine. The fencepost setup I'm converting everything to doesn't have the same issue...the fencepost keeps the poly tight and high above the flood line.

2-15 setup.jpg

14. i just cant get over the simplicity....did you buy most of the system or design it yourself?

15. ...I suppose I could patten that fencepost in the flood tables :smoke:. I've never seen this done before...the fencepost strategy is usually done by the aeroponic crowd...

...I'm sold on the fencepost in the flood tables, this was just an experiment that has gone really, really well! The fence post relieves me of the hassle with the 6"x6" pots and provides a great support for the poly used to cover the tables....

...you are correct, things are pretty simply here; No veg area (other than mothers/clones), optimum light penetration, optimum RH levels, low harvest/trim time, and very simple clean up.....my kind of op. :D
    ...more pics to come soon. ;)

16. question for ya Trichome

what are your flood times? during veg and flower?

we're using similar setups...both flood and drain with hydroton in pots...I've been running 15ON every 8 hours (midnight, 8am and 4pm) So that's 3 floods a day in veg under 24/0

would it be safe to say I should up the floods to 4 times a day during 12/12? or always watch my plants to see when they need water? it's just harder now for me to check how dry the hydroton is b/c I can't lift my pots up due to the scrog.

what's your strategy? thanks :confused:

17. ...you can refer to post #68 for a strategy.
    ...I personally flood the 6"x6" pots 3 times per day......first, 30 minutes before the lights come on, second in the middle of the photoperiod, last 30 minutes before the lights go off.

18. wow, can sized nugs?? yea you for sure make me feel like a noob lol insanely nice man

19. ...can size, sometimes even 2 liter size ;). Thankx for the kind words.

20. nice journal bro, wat nutrients u run when ur flowering? I'm about 4wks into flowering and am tryin to get everyone's opinion on nutes and seeing how u have big fat coals u obviously doin something right check out my journal and tune me in thanks