Trichome color vs pistil color

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by inastupor, Jul 7, 2019.

1. How are you estimating that? It takes experience with a specific strain to now for sure or atleast quite a bit of experience growing to have a close estimation. Other wise you're just guessing which could lead to disappointment

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nope, not this grow but I also just started germinating some Hindu Kush. Taking pics the whole way so maybe I’ll do up a diary on those.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've reached this estimation by giving the plant an 8 week minimum flower period. Its in mid 6th right now...

Judging by how the plant grew through the first 4 weeks of flower, including the transition week, the buds themselves look about half the weight the should be when I look at the placement of the buds, length of the pistils and overall maturity of the bud.

Its not an exact science, I know, but with daily monitoring, I feel like a can safely say how much longer is left for my tree..

Yes, you make a load of sense and I do agree that strain specific experience is way more advantageous, though I'm still figuring out my own grow methods and learning as I go.

I don't mean to sound cocky or anything, just justifying myself.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

4. Awesome... I'd be interested to read through any of them if you do put it online. Keep us posted

5. #25 killset, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    So you just sort of guessed. Most strains take more then 8 weeks. Be patient bud

• Like Like x 2
  6. Can never for get that first grow and even this one I am on now. I always feel like something should be happening faster than it does for harvest. Just a quick question if it is possible to answer. How long does it take(general estimate) for tricomes to go past what you waNt. For example tricomes hit 20% on monday, will the plant be 100% amber by friday?

7. I've never had a plant develop from 20 to 100 in a few days. I regularly do rodelization which allows the plant to go past its prime harvest in order to produce seed and I've never scene anything go remotely that fast

8. Ok that was kind of what I am asking and since you do the seed thing you are the perfect one to answer. How long from first amber to full amber?

9. I shall. And thank you

10. #30 inastupor, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    In case anyone was still interested I took some more pics. Leaves are starting to fade and I havent seen any new pistils pop up for a while now. Seeing a few ambers here and there, but mostly cloudy tris with a few clears left. Thinking I'm getting pretty close.

• Like Like x 1
  11. How's your plants looking bro? To the OP

12. Oh they're done :) Gave em the chop yesterday after 48hrs in the dark. Got em hanging right now. In a week or two I'll get em cleaned up, weighed and post pics.

13. Awesome, did the dark period do anything worth while? I've wanted to try it on my last grow but was advised that it wouldn't help much.

I'm about 3 days away from harvesting my afghan kush tree myself.

14. No clue. I read up on it here and there and some people swear by it and others think it’s a waste of time. It seemed minimally invasive so I gave it a shot. Funny thing is since it’s my very first grow I’ll have no idea if did anything. Maybe next Amnesia Haze I’ll just go straight to chopping without the dark period. I have 1 more that’s just about finished stretching.

• Like Like x 1
  15. But did you notice anything with the magnifying lens? Like Trichome development before vs after dark period.

Honestly, I'd rather run two plants of the same strain, and leave one in darkness a few days before harvest as a test... The other can grow as per normal as a control, but harvest the plants the same day... They need to follow the same light and nutrient schedule also.

It will be a sure way to tell if the dark period is doing you any good or you're stealing 2 days worth of light from your plants.. Its just a suggestion.

I wanted to try the dark period thing also but was advised against it by a few on this forum.

16. Nope, I didn't bother looking at the trichomes once they were done with the 48 hour dark period. I'll screw around with the next few plants in the coming months. From start to finish the entire grow was very enjoyable. Even the few issues that did come up, while they were annoying, the satisfaction from figuring them out and fixing them far outweighed the annoyance. I'll post back once everything gets into jars.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Great quality pics!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks a mil!... I love taking pictures of buds, lol.. Here's a link to the journal, it has all the pictures in it...

Afghan Kush, 12/12 from seed

Almost ready for harvest so I'll be posting another round of pics later.

• Like Like x 1
  19. How did your buds turn out?