Trees, rocks, atoms, life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by g0pher, Jan 10, 2008.

1. We know a tree is consious, so seeing as they don't move in our short perception of time, i think if we were able to watch a tree in fast forward, it would look as if it alive just like any animal.

Growing, interacting with its surroundings, stretching, reaching, and even battling other trees and plant life for necessary resources (light, water, nutrients).

But can the same be said with rocks, magma, and minerals over an even longer period of time? I mean - they are constructs of moving, vibrating atoms aern't they?

So if a rock is not alive (nor consious) then what then ( at the atomic level ) is the constitute of determined 'life' and / or consiousness?

2. Growth and decay...that's all that life is.

3. i was crippled, imobilised for a few months years back....

.... man do you get some great insights into what it's like for a plant in one place, the world changing around you.

lol... yeah, u-huh, "all".... i cant help think you juuuuuust might be missing something. :laughing:

4. Yeah, what is with all of these limitations? :p

5. ey Digit, why do you say a Rock a person?

6. Well there are six characteristics to the scientific meaning of life, they are: Cells, Organization, Energy use, Growth, Homeostasis, and Reproduction, anything that is considered alive, has all of those characteristics. Now if the word life to you mean, simply exisisting, then sure a rock can have a life.

7. Obviously it does "exist" simply becoz its there, but the thing is, its not aware of itself nor of its surroundings.
    It has no consiousness.

8. Exactly, so what is the question?

9. i once had a pet rock. it died because i forgot to feed it.

10. Digit on PM said Rocks do "Live", and are People too - so the question was actually directed to him so he could elaborate to us all what he means by that. :rolleyes:

11. ahh, gotcha haha