Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Treats cold sores!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Voski, Sep 16, 2009.

1. So I felt a cold sore starting up yesterday morning at work. After work I smoked some diablo og and my cold sore was tingling like crazy and bothered me all night. Now it's completly gone in the morning. I've never had this happen. Usually cold sores last a few days for me. Maybe this is well known information but I never knew about it.

2. Marijuana as an anti-viral drug?

"The active ingredient of cannabis, delta-9-tetrahydrocannibol (THC), can prevent the replication and activation of several forms of herpes"

3. Yep, it's true.

4. And a few more studies for the inquiring minds among you!

Cannabis May Help Combat Cancer-causing Herpes Viruses
    Cannabis May Help Combat Cancer-causing Herpes Viruses

THC inhibits lytic replication of gamma oncogenic herpes viruses in vitro
    Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) inhibits lytic replication of gamma oncogenic herpesviruses in vitro

Suppressive effect of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on herpes simplex virus infectivity in vitro
    Suppressive effect of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol...[Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1991] - PubMed Result

Inhibition of cell-associated herpes simplex virus
    The Effect of {Delta}-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Herpes Simplex Virus Replication -- Blevins and Dumic 49 (2): 427 -- Journal of General Virology

The Effect of {Delta}-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Herpes Simplex Virus Replication
    The Effect of {Delta}-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Herpes Simplex Virus Replication -- Blevins and Dumic 49 (2): 427 -- Journal of General Virology

5. Bumping this because I think it's bullshit.. Any time I get an outbreak (which is once ever 2 years), if I smoke it makes it a lot worse and takes longer to heal (at least a week).. If I don't smoke it goes away in a couple days.. It sucks because I got an outbreak today and I want to smoke.. DAMN YOU HERPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I was about to question about how this drug is more wonderful each day, but then I see locnar saying it doesn't?

/sadface

Honestly tho, hearing this almost made me spit out my drink cuz I've always have those sores (canker more specifically) every so often and sucks so bad, but if this is a possibility...Wow, brings a tear to my eyes. :p

Assuming thats the case anyawys (The reserach links given by stormcrow(thanks bud) points to more conclusions need to be made.)

7. This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing
    However I think you should vary more examples to your writing much more interesting !

8. Instead of smoking, you may wish try applying a glycerine based tincture locally (on the sore). I am not responsible for any screaming if it stings, but on my other list we have a guy who does this for genital herpes and he swears by it.

9. You can buy cannibis lip balm if you live in cali

10. Anyone applying some phoenix tears on those bad boys? I mean Cannabis oil not hemp seed oil..Dudes curing some types of skin cancer with the stuff applying it topically. This gives super concentrated doses of THC with 0 high its all medicine.. Just kinda hard to come by i dunno just an idea.. Used to date a girl is hspv1 (lip herp) i know sounds crazy to sum.. but ehh she was awsome and once you get used to Eskimo kisses its not so bad.. Welp good luck with the herp guys keep :smoking: