Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Traveling with Medical Marijuana in Airports, 2012 Update

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by GreenDevil420, May 9, 2012.

1. I can understand why you were willing to spend that 150$, as you mentioned I do carry only small amounts so I do not plan on getting a state-issued card unless I go out of state soon. Every question I had about traveling with marijuana has been answered in this thread, very helpful! Thanks for the information once again!

2. I once again flew out of a CA airport (this time it was LAX instead of SFO) with my meds in a ziplock bag within a prescription bottle, and the baggage screeners failed for a second time to find my MMJ in my carry-on. All the while they're doing cavity searches on little kids and, of course, grandma. The TSA Screening is a joke.

3. Thanks man

4. I know some one from the UK who gets mmj from Holland and when brings it back from Holland to the UK he rings the airport in advance to tell them and he said every time he does this they are expecting him at customs in the UK and they just wave him straight through no search no nothing he says he jumps the ques like hes royalty or something I imagine this is to not bring attention to him because if he wanted to he could be like look at all this weed and theres nothing anyone can do either that or they just dont care!

5. [quote name='"Bstarks7"']Okay I told myself if I made it through security with medical marijuana and my recommendation at SFO international airport I would post on this site.

I went through security at SFO and watched my bag on the computer as it was scanning what I saw was mostly yellow and green colors for my clothing but my medicine (which wasnt hidden at all) lit up bright red! It even had a red box around all my medical marijuana and the first thing that went through my mind was "oh shit." I then went through the metal detector/x-ray and I just saw my backpack on the other side!!! No one questioned me or said anything to me. However I did have all my paperwork incase I ran into trouble...

As I was walking to my gate I stopped in the bathroom and hid my medicine in a glasses case and wrapped it in my pants.

When I arrived in Phoenix Az my destination I was super scared about encountering a TSA member, actually when leaving the airport security at phoenix (like where you walk past usually one worker or something/no bags searched but you still see a tsa guy) there just so happened to be 5-6 of them just standing there greeting people... But when I walked up I heard a "stop" (pause) "you are about to enter a federal location." but all I could think of was the "stop" so I stopped lol, a tsa guy came up to me and said I was fine and free to go. In my mind I just thought "thank god!!!!!"

Basically long story short, I was a 18 year old medical cannabis patient carrying a 1/4 oz from sf to Phoenix. No one ever questioned me about the medicine or searched my bag.
    If your thinking about doing this I strongly encourage you not to especially if your a non medical cannabis user. You can risk federal prison time and trust me the whole time you are in the airport/airplane you are about to shit your pants. I am definitely never doing it again... I'm thinking next time i'll just mail it, or if I'm flying in state then I may carry a little as well, but I am nver going to cross states with my medicine again...

Feel free to ask questions about my expierience![/quote]

My buddies dad works for TSA out of Oakland. He is one of the dudes with the dogs there. He told me any plant, anything like weed or fruits or veggies it will come up bright orange and it's pretty much up the the TSA officer if they want to search your stuff. As long as it a small amount it's usually good

6. Ok. This thread comes up first in every google search I do on the subject. I will be flying to Vegas for an awards ceremony this week. I wont need more than a few grams on me as I vape, but am worried that it might get confiscated. Should I call the Vegas airport and ask? SeaTac is cool, from what I understand, and Im going to pack it in a way so it is airtight. Ive flowing with dirty paraphernalia before even to a non-mmj state, but I only brought "throw away" glass then. This is an expensive vape. Should I call and make sure or what?

7. That may be the way to do it. I see the videos and reports about people who get away with even vapping on planes. I honestly would never go that far, just for the fact that it smells and I wouldn't want anyone to be offended. But I will need it. I need it for focus and pain, and to sleep. And of course I'm out of things to make my capsules with and too busy to boot.

8. #28 CommieNerd, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
    Well...
    18 Legal Medical Marijuana States and DC - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Its not cheep. Maybe if this will be a yearly thing. But I think you are right. Mailing it home will be smartest. Maybe SWIM can do it. But that is illegal so we cant talk about that here. ;-)

I dont have cancer, but I have a condition that wont permit me to go long w/o it. If I dont have it, eventually I end up in a ball crying because of the pain. And the anxiety travel itself causes can throw me into adrenal crisis.

9. #29 GreenDevil420, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
    Absolutely call your departure airport and make sure you are allowed, given your conditions (MMJ patient or adult). However, given the fact Washington legalized small amounts for adult (21+) possession, one could assume all state and local police would have to abide by such laws throughout Washington. SeaTac already permitted medical marijuana patients to travel as long as the paperwork was in order.

My advice: Don't talk to or inform any connecting or destination airport. My vast experience in airports, as well as taking marijuana on planes legally, tells me that the TSA of the departure city is the only agency that would have the opportunity to fully inspect your bags. As long as your stash is airtight, and you don't have to go through security inspection in connecting/destination cities, you'll be solid. Just expect a $100 misdemeanor fine if you get caught with less than 1oz in Nevada, as that state is not recreationally legal and lacks MMJ reciprocity (unless you qualify under that state's laws as well, of course).

Hope that helps. Cheers!

10. #30 Beancat, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    California resident here, Los Angeles. I'm confused about the state-issued card thing. I have Dr. recommendation on paper, and a card that the Dr. issues. Are you saying there is a separate card that the state issues? Where do I go to get that?

On another topic, does TSA or other law enforcement typically confiscate tools for smoking or vaping? Even if they have no sign of use? For instance, if I traveled from LAX to SFO or OAK, I would just buy medication at my destination, but I might want to bring a pipe or vaporizer with me.

11. always dreamed of this. always wanted to feel like I'm in the olden days bringing my small stash on the plane. also if flying to obviously netherlands, but switzerland, germany or spain, there shouldn't be a problem as long as you have it not smelling, (in a jar) and are discreet. none of these countries have mmj laws, but i live in switzerland and they don't care.

12. State-issued card is actually only administered by your county public health department. Depending on your location, it can cost between $75-150 per year, but it protects the person from arrest for various activities statewide (and the aforementioned airports). Your valid doctor's recommendation gives you a near-guarantee defense in court, but you'll have to go to court.

It's not illegal to possess marijuana paraphernalia in California, unless of course there's resin noticeably on it (which would be a marijuana possession charge).

13. This is my report on traveling via commercial airlines with MMJ.

I recently flew out of DIA Denver, CO to Tucson, AZ. Both states have MMJ friendly laws on the books.

I packed about 2 grams of cleaned and ground herb into a tiny tupperware container, and another 2 grams into a small clear plastic air-tight container. I like to have 2 different strains with me, an indica and a sativa. I put them into my carry-on laptop bag along with a small, brand new glass piece. My laptop and a bunch of other stuff was in there as well, of course. I made no attempt to conceal anything. Also, I packed an MMJ lollipop in my bag to eat on the plane. I had my state issued MMJ card with me, as well as a photocopy of my doctor's recommendation.

DIA was moderately busy with a normal amount of TSA staff. They use body scanners at DIA, as well as metal detectors. I did the scanner then I was "picked at random" for the secondary screening. The thing where they swab your hands down to check for explosive residue. I passed that and they told me to move along. The whole thing took less than 60 seconds, and I was on my way to Tucson with my herbs and pipe. I feel like they only pulled me for the secondary screening because I look arabic. I'm actually hispanic, but that is another report for another forum.

On the trip back, I considered dumping the remainder of my MMJ and my pipe before going through security at the small Tucson airport because I have no paperwork for Arizona (even though my research indicates that AZ honors other states MMJ credentials). I was feeling confident and took a chance. Same deal, weed in the bag, legal documents on me. Walked right through. Used pipe, too.

Your trip might be different, but that's what happened to me.