Traveling Alone

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed Sanders, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Sup GC:D
    I was planning to travel around europe with a bunch of friends this summer, but now it turns out I probably wont be able to go during the same time as them because of a summer job.
    So now i am thinking of just going by myself later this summer, most likely to paris, amsterdam, and whereever the wind takes me (gonna get a train pass and stay in hostels, done it before just not alone). Anyone here like traveling alone? I would love to hear any experiences/stories/advice you have.

Ps. i travel pretty often so im not looking for advice on how to stay safe etc., im more interested in what the experience was like, how you spend your days, any special challenges/advantages over traveling with other people and so on.
    :wave:

2. 9 outta 10 times i travel alone... much more relaxing... you don't have arguments about what to do next - you just go where your fancy takes you.

enjoy your stay at the dam!

3. Travelling alone can be awesome. You'll always meet people in hostels and there's usually organised visits to stuff you can go on to have further opportunities to meet people during the day. As an individual you become much more approachable and I find it can actually make it easier to meet interesting (often foreign) people who are also travelling. You spark up conversation with some very unique individuals and learn so much about other people's cultures/lifestyles.

Me and a friend are embarking on a trip this summer as well (also taking in Amsterdam, of course) but we're so similar it'll be like travelling alone anyway... we basically never disagree about anything.

1 big piece of advice: stay in bustling hostels and get dorm rooms, you want to increase your sociability as much as possible!