Traveling Alone

Discussion in 'General' started by Incredible High, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Has anyone ever gone traveling to another country/place a lone? None of my friends are seriously interested in travel, I mean if I ask them they say sure that would be fun but I know they are not seriously interested in it like I am.

I also read up that traveling a lone gives you the ultimate view on life and reflection of yourself. Plus you actually have to go out of the way to meet people and introduce yourself (hostels, bars, beaches etc etc) and apparently meet some interesting people.

This is all hearsay though. I am wondering if anyone else here has ever done this or plans to.

:smoking:

2. Where do you live? Where do you plan on going? I'm down to go with you... seriously

3. haven't yet, but i plan to. i'm gonna take a small trip myself this july when i get off a week. not sure where yet, but probably just to do some camping/hiking.

4. im thinkin about diving out to cali (i live in chicago) to pick up a couple lbs of headband from my friend:smoking:

5. I havnt, but i want to. It would be nice with a second person, but if you go by your self you will do everything you want to. you wont have to take other peoples thoughts into consideration.

6. Haha if your serious I would be interested too. Obviously we would have to talk a bit more about it but before that I want you to know I plan to travel quite a bit.

I don't know if its just because I hate the whole "9-5" settle down and have a life idea but I would like to see a lot of the world before I settle down somewhere, and hey maybe one of these countrys I will like so much I will settle there. Just looking for adventure and fun.

I live in BC Canada, your profile says Cali so we are actually both on the west coast same time zone.

Don't know where I plan on going yet.

7. if u can afford it. Europe is the way to go.

8. Haha im in the same boat. I really want to backpack Europe but everyone I know tied themselves down already.

9. i haven't traveled to a different country by myself, but have been across canada on my own, and it sweet as fuck. i saw myself becoming too dependent on people and was like "no, this is not how i want it to be" and two weeks later i left by myself.

i stayed in hostels pretty much everywhere, save for a couple of places that i knew people and they let me crash at their place. i had an amazing time, it was truly the first thing i'd done on my own (besides going to school and moving out, i suppose) and i wouldn't have had it any other way. it was scary at first, mostly cuz i am really shy person until i get to know people, so i thought i'd have a super difficult time but, i don't know, planning everything and actually following through with it actually gave me a boost of confidence when i thought about it.

my next solo quest will be to a couple of my favourite states and eventually europe.

10. I might actually try this myself since im in BC. How far / long did you travel in Canada for? Did you drive to each hostel in provinces / bus / walk / hitchhike.

Just looking for more info as this might be a good first step for me. :smoking:

11. I definitely feel you on not wanting to settle down and live the cookie cutter life that so man of our peers are living. I cannot really blame them, though, because there doesn't seem to be a multitude of appealing alternatives. Either living in this day and age doesn't give you many opportunities or I don't know where to look for the life I want(forcing me to distract myself with all these things which I haven't experienced yet and so on).

However, I have traveled a bit here and there and it can be great... certainly keeps your mind off of every day mediocre life. There are lots of things and concepts and people that are humbling and overwhelming(in an incredibly pleasant way). I sometimes think: if only I could have a career that would allow me to see the world and actually have the pleasure of enjoying it. I thought perhaps being a dj/producer might give me that, but it doesn't seem like I'm cut out for it. But such a lifestyle reminds me a bit of what some lucky hitmen are portrayed to be privileged to enjoy in the movies.

Anyway, I can't say that I'm a great traveler, though I would like to get better. I know people who travel in almost unhealthy amounts. Actually in one case it does seem to have taken a toll on someone who's had to do it for work and its added up over the decades. But these travelers have something in common: they're really interesting people with vast cultural experience and being in their presence induces much wonder. I must confess that some envy is involved too and I find myself thinking I'm not good enough sometimes.

Well, if you end up traveling alone, I recommend giving yourself a bit of time to take in what you experience so you come back only to realize you were in too much of a daze to have gotten all you could out of the journey.

12. I've traveled alone quite a bit. I've been to Vietnam and Indonesia on longer trips, and have spent shorter amount of times in Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, India, Costa Rica, Egypt, Greece, Amsterdam... I'm sure I'm missing a few here.

I've done a few other countries sort-of on my own... I have a friend who I meet up with overseas (I met her in Indonesia, coincidentally), but we both spend a considerable amount of time on our own.

Traveling alone is awesome. You can do what you want, when you want, and it's always easy to meet up with other travelers at backpacker bars/restaurants.

13. I have felt the urge to travel lately. The only problem is I don't like to plan things out, I like the adventure of uncertainty so planning a trip is kind of difficult for me. One day I want to buy a ticket to Europe and just go for a couple of months.

I have also been looking into teaching programs in South America where I could go live in a small community and teach English, but most require a degree.

14. #14 See Emily Play, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
    I'm travelling around Europe by myself in 2 months..

One of my friends wants to come to Greece with me, but I'm not sure how serious she is about it, and I have a few cousins here and there and a friend in Spain whose couch I can crash on for a while.

The way I see it, I think travelling with a friend would be awesome - you've got someone there who you can relate to, talk to and explore with, but I'll be damned if I miss out on a great opportunity to travel just because I have no one to go with. I'm busy saving up to buy a good camera and I can't freakin wait to travel around Europe and take photos. I'm so excited I don't mind if it's just me and my camera!

I've been checking out CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time, most of the hosts seem like cool people who are happy to show travellers around their town, and it's a really cheap way to travel and meet new people.

15. Ooh. Thanks this site will come in much use. I also know of Travel Buddies | Hotel Reviews | Travel Blogs - TravBuddy.com where you can meet up with other travelers who happen to be in the same country as you at the same time etc.

Really quite interesting to read other peoples stories about traveling alone.