Traveling across Canada on foot?

Discussion in 'General' started by Borstal, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Hey all,

Im thinking of taking one more year off before sorting my life out but I want it to be a spirtual kind of thing and spend most of the year outside away from civilization and with... bud of course.

Now you see my delema. I have no clue where to start planning this or what I even need to plan. I want to travel across canada and stay either in campsites or somewhere outside of civilzation. I guess I could use a mix of walking/public transport etc.

So yeah... im just posting this to get vibes and possibly a place to start planning this from people who have done this before.

Thanks

2. A bit of an update... Im thinking of just practicing by living in a tent in a forrest near here for a year or half a year to see what its like and learn the ways... again looking for tips,tricks and advice from people who have done this before.

3. some dude was travelling across canada on a bike. he came through my town. :)
    at least that's what i overheard from the friendly folk that started up a conversation with him at tim hortons.

i've never done this before and wouldn't know anything about planning this,
    but i do wish you much luck and i definitely send some good vibes your way. :)
    seems like quite the task.

4. Hike the Appalachian trail. It takes about 6 months, and it will prepare you well for a journey hike anywhere. There's lots of books and sites out there, just read around.

5. Thats a good one, thanks. I might look into that in the future or find a similar hike in Canada first to get expierience.

6. Get cancer and be the next Terry Fox!

7. Nah cause then I would get media attention and thats the opposite of what I want. Plus if I wanted to smoke pot... then the media would kind of see haha.

8. I also want to do something similar before I die.

9. Im in the east coast canada.

If i can cheat with a segway, im in.

10. I hope you do it man.. you'd find it enlightening.

Check out "The Longest Walk" -- its on amazon. About a guy who walked for 13 years,
    from the southernmost tip of South America to New York City and then to Alaska or
    something like that. Just intense!

Also watch Kintaro Walks Japan ([ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3067683435545761102"]watch it here[/ame])

Good Luck!

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

11. I say you do it without any shoes on...

12. Thats a cool idea. A cat by the name of Terry Fox attempted to run across Canada after one of his legs was amputated. He made it quite far, but unfortunately succumbed to his illness before he could finish.

13. all i'll say is, check your post time at 11:11 pm.
    a sign?

discuss.

14. This summer before I get stationed for the Air Force I'm going to hike what is finished up the Cumberland Trail, then once my time in the service is done I'm hiking the AT, followed by the Pacific Crest. One day I would like to do the Continental Divide.

15. Then you are doing it for the right reasons, at least as far as my logic goes.

Best of luck to you.

:D

16. ^^True that Durchii, totally agree here

Terry Fox was heroic!