Trapwire - Wikileaks releases info about "creepy" US surveillance system

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Dissec, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Story here
    Wikileaks has been down since the attack, downforeveryoneorjustme

I didn't see this anywhere else on the forum, I did search for "trapwire" and "stratfor" but found nothing about this. If I double posted sorry, I wouldn't be surprised I just didn't see any results about this when I did search.

Read the full article for more details, those are just the first 2 paragraphs. I'm sure there are more articles out, but I figured I'd post this and see where it goes.

Note: I don't think anyone is really sure how deep the spying goes on this one, they say they look for suspicious behavior, and maybe thats true, or maybe its one of those lies our government likes telling, or "sort of truths".

For those who are too lazy, anonymous (or a group claiming to be, its easier to claim anonymous than to take heat on an organized hacking group) hacked and released Stratfor emails to Wikileaks, who then published them. Since then, they have been under a DDoS from a group called "anti-leaks". <- That isn't a tl;dr, just a quick synopsis of how the info was released.

2. hmm very interesting.

So they are compiling data on certain people(s) from all across the US and bringing it back to a Hq of some sort then having thei hired agents do whatever they are doing?

3. Fuck the government.

4. [sarcasm]this is required to protect us from muslim terrorists[/sarcasm]

5. Pretty much, although as far as I know it could be anyone, not just select people, as in everyone/pretty much everyone.

Its important, that way they can take out the criminals before they do something illegal... lol

6. Like Minority Report. :( Well, kind of. :laughing:

7. Good thing I live in California..

8. I had 2 friends both of whom's parents were CIA;
    And they are both spoiled f* asses. Some things never change.

9. the thing is...
    facebook,twitter, etc has all kinds of info on you. if the government wanted to they could learn everything about you that you let them

10. Honestly, if you're not doing anything wrong, why waste time and energy worrying over things like this?

The way I see it, the government could watch me 24/7 via satellite cameras for all I care.

11. Reminds me of the movie eagle eye

12. Because "wrong" is a relative term, and I (as well as many others) don't trust the government's judgment. Spying on "suspicious" people, for example. What if you are just in a rush somewhere and their computers label you a terrorist because of the look on your face? So many things can go wrong with this level of spying. Not to mention the fact that it was once (and should still be) illegal to record any American citizen without their consent. Now it's done for our own good :rolleyes:

13. This! ^^^ My neighbor and I had this discussion the other day. Her argument was, if she wasnt doing anything wrong then why care? Well damn if thats the case (if I were the government) I would say let me do anything else thats illegal and that infringes on your rights. Its not the concept that you're doing something wrong its the concept that the government is overstepping its boundaries. Take that intelligence shit and invest it in other countries to "protect us".

14. Ya we are a threat to the rich and powereful, and just like any threat we need to be monitored

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-3K3rkPRE]NSA Whistle-Blower Tells All - Op-Docs: The Program - YouTube[/ame]

15. Big Brother is watching YOU!

The Dept. of Homeland Security has a similar database of records and information on thousands of people.

Its all part of the cycle