Trapped in a prison of your own design

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by yurigadaisukida, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Anyone ever get the feeling you've constructed a prison for yourself? And each day it get harder to escape? And you know if you don't escape soon, you'll be stuck there forever. But its so comfortable...

-yuri

Meh, you're a genius so you should be able to work your way out of it! :laughing:

On a serious note, yes it does happen. I had a big problem with depression not long ago and it felt like I was pretty much trapped, but then I started learning the things I did only helped perpetuate the unhappiness. But contrary to how you feel, it wasn't a comfortable prison.

3. Self - imposed prison is horrible and life-denying. The part that sucks us that it is usually constructed unconsciously.. we don't realize it until it is already up and fortified.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4. All the time!

Every few years I look back and modify my behavior a bit.

5. That's exactly what I keep telling myself about living in my hometown. I feel liek its rlly hard to leave, like a prison, and the longer I stay the harder it becomes. But I have to leave asap to not end up like those pathetic neighborhood guys who hang out on the same corner year after year. but fuck it's difficult starting over with no contacts

6. I was mentally locked up for about 11 years I was a hard worker fucker. I would often go two or three days of non stop working. The one major thing I had going for me was I was bipolar and be in manic state for weeks I never drove if I was tired though. Well all this hard work ended up being for nothing I thought because I got sick and I was forced to retire at 38. It took me almost a year later to realize I was finally free I went from a nice six figure income to okay five figure income I had a little bit of money left but I had a gambling problem and lost a ton of dough. We are doing great now. I love being free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. #7 Islebeebarck, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    I can relate. For me the comfortable feeling comes when I give up hope for better days, this feeling creeps as you cripple and I think of it as a "back broke feeling". Like a dawning acceptance that this "could" be it. It's so real at the time as the anxiety for me fades and a sense of warmth washes over and become light as if im floating on air. I don't know what this is but it feels like losing sense of ones self, disconnected?
    Easier said than done but keep fighting, the challenge of change is that it is so incremental that our expectations are often not met and we can be left in limbo until it prevails. Sometimes we never get to see it happen and one problem is replaced with another and so on.

This song helps me reflect on the path that has lead me to a state of absense.

https://youtu.be/DPL_SV3n7IU

Fight for your mind

8. I do this thing to myself where if I masturbate I feel like I can't talk to anyone after/the next day. I make myself believe I get anxious in public and around people. I can stop masturbating so everyday it gets worse and I mentally/physically lock myself away from social contact

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr4dYNWz03I

10. did it one time, Had to reazlie that the world I presume to be real even though it may be easier to believe and accept than the real word, but you've got to come to grips that it may be effecting you negatively as well as people you care about. hopefully you get it all sorted!

11. Belief in a self. That you are a certain way, that particular things define you. You are beyond definition, the true you isn't what people think of you, it's not what you've done. The true you is your infinite potential to be whatever you want and not what the world or others want you to be. We're scared to be free, we want comfort and to be accepted. Someone who is entirely detached from the world and is unmoved by it is truly free. Think for a moment that you have interests, then you set yourself up in a prison and make yourself unhappy. Happiness comes from freedom externally, but more importantly, internally.

12. Yes.  

This is why I walked out on a very cushy job I held for 8 years.   It gave me everything I needed but nothing I wanted.

13. Unless you're institutionalized, prison and comfort don't really go together.

14. Thats the ideal.. almost impossible to achieve. We're all attached to something - including the idea of being totally detached (that becomes a new attachment). Good insight, pickle..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It just takes development of insight into the true nature of self through contemplation and meditation. It's difficult, especially so in this society, but it is not impossible, in fact it is the ideal that we should strive for.

16. Letting go of what others think and society's expectations is a factor of this prison. I noticed you mentioned to me earlier on another post of being embarrassed or something then i stated i do not get embarrassed because i let nothing anyone else says or thinks effect me because i have let go of all that years ago. Maybe try meditation or traveling nature? They help with all this stuff and clearing blockages.

Some people know things and get angry when truth is presented Only because they are so comfortable as they have been brought up this way since birth and do not want their illusions destroyed.

I'm not here bashing you or anyone, I'm just trying to help others see through the bullshit.

Chose Love not Fear

As FEAR is merely False Evidence Appearing Real

Love is Infinite and Ever-present.

Check out (Infinite Waters) on youtube, He will help change your darkness into Light, His like a new age BuddHa so wise and knowledgeable yet not religious based.

Peace.

17. To be honest, no. I felt those lingering feeling in my teen years, but natural curiosity took its course. There's a relationship you have with yourself, a relationship dealt entirely in the subconscious realm that is absolutely fascinating as you are able to manipulate it, consciously. Root yourself well and in the dark times you'll still see the light.

It's important to know/acknowledge you have let off some shackles and give yourself credit, nourish the ego don't stuff it.

A large part of this feeling may be the stubborn unwillingness to change. You have to, mentally...all the fuckin time, in every possible sense.

18. #19 JahSon420, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    I feel like we each make our own prison of needless suffering. My past relationship haunts me every day, I loved her but the abuse was unbearable for me. I had to leave.. She didn't like that I smoked weed and we were always arguing about it .
    She never realized that this wasn't Burger King, she couldn't always have it her way.. Still haunts me to this day, cause if I had stopped for good, would things be different?

19. Yes! And the bars are constructed by every one of my self-centered, unloving, unkind, uncaring words and deeds. But "the hole" is the hold by which I cling to "my" life.