Transplating to bigger pots

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by thats oregano, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Hello everybody. My seeds sprouted up on the 22nd and I have them in 16oz solo cups. I plan on putting them in my 7 gallon smart pots. My plants sprouted on the 22nd and are about 4 inches. I see lots of people talking about plants becoming root bound and was wondering at about how large should I let them get before I put them in the smart pots and also do you think it would be ok to go from a 16oz solo cup to a large 7 gallon smart pot. Any help is appreciated.

2. 2 or 3 weeks in the solo cups is an average.
    But Being root bound isn't such a problem if your seeds are not autoflowering. I left some of mine 45 days in solo cups (all outdoor). Some autos auto'd at 40 days. But the non autos were placed in their final spots after 45 days were fine.
    It depends on many things too. The lights you have. If they're growing a lot, then they'll need to be moved up quickly (3 weeks is avg). If the soil is too thick or it's too hot or too much water etc... they'll grow slower and not need to be moved up to more soil. Flip one over and see what's going on.
    Also it's good to start in 1/2 solo cups (or small jiffy thingies) to develop roots and then go up gradually so the roos actually fill up the soil you give them. FOr autos, move up quicker (don't wait for rootboundedness lol).

3. Ok thank you very much. This is my first grow but I read up on most of the guides so I have some what of an idea of what I am doing.