Transplanting without contaminating new soil.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Budderball, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hello.

My current soil is garbage. It has poor aeration/drainage and possible fungus gnats.

I would like to transplant to some good stuff, but I don't want to bring ANY of the old crap with the plant.

Would I be able to gently wash away all of the old DIRT from the roots before putting them in the new soil or is this going to hurt the plant too much?

Advice and/or tips please.

Thanks.

2. How big is the current Pot its in?

3. Sorry, guess I should have mentioned. They are in 1/2 gallon pots and sprouted about a week ago.

4. Its a good idea but there Awfully young. The roots at this point are very fine and break easy. The new soil also needs to be worked in carefully between the roots. If you can I'd wait another week

5. You wont deal with the fungus gnats if you have them. They are voracious reproducers since there life span is very short. Get some insecticidual soap its 100% safe non toxic any garden has it including Walmart. Spray the plant and spray the soil. You can also put sand on top of the soil.

Then put up a fly trap to catch the adults. Fungus gnats can take a week or so to get rid of since if there flying around means theres eggs in the soil and they hatch pretty fast turn into adults lay more eggs.

I would just get your pot wet gently remove and put it in a bigger pot. Youll be fine with some of the old soil on it. Roots are very very delicate. You can break them easily.

One of the reasons why I never transplant. I germinate then str8 to its final pot. Never fails at least in my case.

6. [quote name='"rhapsodyrcks"']You wont deal with the fungus gnats if you have them. They are voracious reproducers since there life span is very short. Get some insecticidual soap its 100% safe non toxic any garden has it including Walmart. Spray the plant and spray the soil. You can also put sand on top of the soil.

Then put up a fly trap to catch the adults. Fungus gnats can take a week or so to get rid of since if there flying around means theres eggs in the soil and they hatch pretty fast turn into adults lay more eggs.

I would just get your pot wet gently remove and put it in a bigger pot. Youll be fine with some of the old soil on it. Roots are very very delicate. You can break them easily.

One of the reasons why I never transplant. I germinate then str8 to its final pot. Never fails at least in my case.[/quote]
    Sorry to go of topic but did you notice any slow in growth by doing it this way?

7. Nope not at all. Ive had fungus gnats many times...just something that happens if you grow enough. All it takes is literally one tiny insect flying in your house and you can have them. Similar to worms in a cat...my vet said that all it takes is your cat eating one tiny flea and they can get worms from it.

Now the transplanting and changing soil out yea you would see slower growth. When insecticides are used I would rather take the least invasive way I can. So a couple weeks ago when I got gnats again. I sprayed the plants throughly the soil and plant itself with insecticide soap then sprayed the plants with water to remove it. Placed some sand on top of the soil. Then I sprayed Fox Farms Bug off on the walls of my tent and put a fly trap up. About a week later all gone. There more of irritation then anything else if your plants are adults.

I get them sometimes because of buying herbs from Home Depot they leave everything outside and there infested and I usually forget to spray them before coming inside then in about a week there everywhere. Why this year I started my veggies and herbs from seed for the 1st time.