Transplanting w/ Earth Juice and Pro-Mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dougl, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Not sure if Earth Juice classifies as pure organic but I believe my question is best answered by those who know organics.

I have 6 plants currently in 1 gallon containers being fed Earth Juice Grow, Catalyst, Micro and Meta-K. There are all between 5" and 6" with the 5th full node visible.

I just fed them today, (Tuesday), in their 1 gallon containers @ 60% strength based on E.J.'s recommended feeding charts.

I am preparing to move, (Friday), to 3 gallon Smart Pots which will be their final home.

I am using Pro Mix HP and have been since the start, (all 6 plants are from seed).

So I filled the Smart Pot leaving a space the shape and size of the 1 gallon container.

Question(s)/Option(s), (keep in mind the rootball/plant will be quite moist):

• Should I moisten the dirt with plain water first and then place the 1 gallon root ball into the space provided and pack with a small amount of water to bind together?

• Should I fertilize the dirt that they will be transplanted into a day or two in advance, place the rootball into the hole created, then lightly water to bind?

• Should I fertilize the dirt that they will be transplanted into on transplant day, place the rootball into the hole created, then lightly water to bind?

• Should I keep the transplant dirt dry, place the rootball into the hole created, then water with plain water generously?

• Should I keep the transplant dirt dry, place the rootball into the hole created, then water with fertilized/bubbled E.J. water fully?

• Other???

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Put that pro mix in a large enough container and get it sopping wet. Let it soak in the water.

Peat moss is hard to get wet the first time and your thoughts of slightly moist or dry is a recipe for disaster.

What I do, depending on just how much I need is either put in 5 gal buckets (no drainage holes), or in the wheelbarrow, add water a bit at the time while mixing and bring the water to the top level of the mix, or just below. It will take a couple gallons or so for a 5gal bucket. A wetting agent will help. I'm cheap and just use a squirt of Ivory in the watering can. Old school I know, but works just fine.

Add enough so everything is covered, but not so much that it floats and separates.

Let it soak for a few hours to a couple of days and moosh it around some every now and then.

Do this in a watertight container! NOT the smart pots. The peat will just repel the water and run out the sides of the smart pots and you will accomplish nothing.

After it is totally saturated, THEN put it into the smart pots and then transplant. Water the transplant in well and make sure the fresh mix is firmed well around the rootball.

*I* usually wait a week or so before any nutes, it's not going to run out of anything that quick. EJ is good stuff and really won't do any harm if you don't wait a week. Your call.

One of the biggest mistakes inexperienced growers make is transplanting into a too dry mix and/or not watering it in well.

Wet

3. Appreciate the advice and will do just that. Thanks again Wet

4. Wet has it straight

another old technique is to use horse chestnuts. They are composed of %25 saponins.

[​IMG]

5. Also If you can add vermicompost to the pro mix when you transplant - it's indispensable to the soil mix- aim between 10-30 percent vermicompost.