Transplanting to larger pots - Risky?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by OkinKun, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Is transplanting to a larger pot, something to worry about? What kind of problems might it create? What can I do, to make it as safe as possible for the plant?

Because of my general situation, all I had around was some little 5x5 inch wide pots to start my plants in. So now, I'm gonna have to transplant to the bigger pots at an odd stage in the plants life (which i dont know yet), and I'm not sure how it's going to take it...

I'm really not sure when to transplant, I don't know what to look for and how to know when.

Can anyone help me out?

2. General rule of thumb indoors is one gallon of pot per foot in height. If you are in a 5x5 pot which is less than or about a gallon and the plant is about a foot tall transplant. Transplanting is just a fact of growing and is not usually avoidable. So practice transplanting by transplanting and hopefully not many will die while you learn.

3. When transplanting you should have the new pot (container) prepared and ready. The new pot should have enough soil in the bottom to bring the soil level of the old pot to the proper height (I usually leave a few inches from the top of the pot). I usually transplant just a little deeper than the original, like maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you're up-potting a seedling that has stretched, you can go a little deeper than that to provide support for the spindly stem. I would not bring the soil level up to where the cotyledons were though.

The smaller plant (the transplantee) should have been recently watered so that the soil is damp and holds together. Then, while supporting the top of the soil mass with one hand, turn the pot upside down and gently tap or squeeze the sides of the pot until the whole wad slides out into your supporting hand. (do not disturb the rootball).

If the roots are bound (a whole lot of roots and not much soil) you can gently spread the bottom of the roots a bit before you set the rootball on the soil in your new container. Then, while supporting the plant, fill around the rootball with fresh soil, press firmly and water in. By watering in, you are settling the soil and getting rid of any air spaces that you may have created while adding soil...plus it helps prevent stress.

If you're gentle, your plant won't even know what happened and will put on a growth spurt almost immediately.

Good luck