Transplanting tip.......

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RecStoner, Oct 5, 2010.

1. I started my grow in the bottom of some water bottles, I basically cut the bottoms off and left them on the window sill.

I transplanted them last night to a larger pot, the plastic was a bad idea, some of the roots were stuck to the plastic.

If anyone starts their seeds this way, use a styrofoam cup so you can just cut it or break it away and not damage the roots.

I thought I was going to lose at least one, but they all look good today. 2 of 6 are wilted a little, but not as bad as it was earlier.

2. Great advice. It's always great when you figure stuff out, though it sucks to make mistakes along the way. Now, my own concern with styrofoam is that it's not very earth friendly and it doesn't break down, so there has to be something else that you can use.

Paper cups are biodegradable. There are other cups that are also biodegradable, so they might be good choices too. I'm not a crazy hippie, but I know how many transplants I've done and that adds up to A LOT of cups.

Something to think about.

3. styrofoam degrades quickly when you toss it in the fire!

I guess the plastic coated dixie cups would work as well.

Now that I think of it, I could have just cut the plastic away with a razor.

4. I used to start seeds in 2 liter coke bottles back when I used to grow in dirt(no diss) and would cut slits in them later on before transplanting to large pots. It can get messy and some roots can be mamed in the proccess so yes styrofoam would be the best choice. The bottom of the cup can easily be pulled off without damaging the roots although the best scenario would be to start the seedling off in its final home to begin with. But whenever I used the stryrofoam cup(usually would do this with a lot of clones) I never had any transplant shock and the plant went along it's merry way. Good luck bro peace:smoke: