Transplanting Soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by geopharms, Sep 23, 2016.

1. In about 2-3 weeks or so, I want to transplant into a 2 gal pot and I don't know which soil to use. Can I just plant them in organic soil and that's it? Dr. Earth & Fox Farm has been suggested, but there's so many different types I don't know where to start. Or do I have to add fertilizer, etc? I'm afraid if I get too many mixtures going I will mess something up.

2. I put my northern lights at 17 days directly into a 3 gallon pot with 70/30 fox farms and pearlite for extra drainage to keep the roots from rotting. I also used a fabric pot as its my final transplant. The roots will behave differently when yhey contact the sides of a fabric pot as opposed to a plastic one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. What specific Fox Farm did you use? I've looked at a lot of different ones and I'm not sure which is the right one for transplanting.

4. I use ocean forest. I wait at least two weeks or so before transplanting from solo cup into the soil. The soil is rich so it can be harsh to germinate in for certain strains. Your plant will then tell you when it's ready for some nutes as bottom leaves begin to yellow a bit. Less is more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you!

6. Hi dreamergirl welcome to GC!
    if you have the time i would highly recommend you dont use ff and instead mix your own soil, its very easy and will outperform any bagged soil like ff by a mile. a well mixed soil will last you a long time as you can keep using it over and over with minimal inputs. soil like ff will force you to eventually (and probably sooner then you think) to buy extra nutrients anyway since these kind of soils are not designed to bring a plant to harvest.

two thread you can check out if that interests you are:
    https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/no-till-gardening-revisited.1400505
    and
    Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

• Like Like x 1
  7. @dreamergirl_77 this product can be purchased for <$15 all day, any day, at either the big blue or the big orange stores. It is a perfectly acceptable source of the "1/3" SPM as @Sc00byD00bie is suggesting.

Same company, same product as found in Pro Mix except it is 100% SPM and of course needs custom ammending. A great first place to start. VOE, IME, BTDT, for many, many grow cycles for many, many different kinds of flora, cannabis included.

[​IMG]

Grow smart! :smiley-rolling-joint:

Attached Files:

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      File size:
      11.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Do many people mix their own soil? I know of a few people, but I'm not sure how to go about it, what to buy, what it will cost, etc. Eventually, I probably will do this. What does peat moss do and why is it important? I've heard this mentioned a few times, but I know nothing about it. Right now, I'm educated with the basics I think. Trying to catch up to you pros! lol ;)

9. Also, I'm thinking I need more light on these babies because it looks like they stopped growing (height-wise) a few days ago. When I put my hand under the light, it's only warm right where the bulb is. I don't feel any heat at all, is this ok? The temperature inside my house is always around 76-80.

Attached Files:

10. @dreamergirl_77
    Lowes = peat moss... 1/3rd
    Lowes = composted chicken manure.. Double handful
    Home depot = Perlite in the huge 2 cubic foot bags = $16.00.. 1/3rd
    Home Depot = ecoscraps compost $4.00.. 1/3rd
    Pet store = alfalfa pellets.. rabbit chow.. Single handful
    There your on your way..
    Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners
    ITGs soil thread is a good place to start reading...
    BNW

11. yes most of us mix our own soil. its fairly simple really, just follow a recipe and mix everything up.
    the peat moss is usually used as one of the three main parts of building the base soil: peat+aeration and most importantly compost. all three in equal measures make the base. to that you add amendments like kelp, neem meal, crab meal...

there is a really good and simple recipe you can follow in the no-till thread
    https://forum.grasscity.com/posts/?post_id=22464370

12. They're in ecoscraps soil right now. Bought a big bag of it at walmart for $7 :) I don't think it's the same one as you linked though. I'll try to find the compost at Home Depot.

Thanks for the info ^^ Huge help. I'll read that thread you linked too.

Attached Files:

13. We use Roots Organics Original and have used it for years. It's about the best I know of on the market as far as formulated grow soils go. You can grow your plant entirely with this soil...without the use of nutes period, if you so choose. You just start the plants out in something small, like a Solo cup, from clone or seedling. You give only pH'd water (range 6.3 to 6.7). Plant them in the soil and saturate them with pH'd water and put them under the lights and go away. Do not water again until the cup feels DRY....NEVER EVER WATER until the container feels dead dry. If you have good light, it will only take the small plant a matter of days to outgrow the cup (become wider and taller than). Once I know the plants have rooted into the cups, I go ahead and pinch my tops for the first time to increase the number of bud sites on top. Only when they've outgrown the cup, repot into a 1 gal. container of the same good soil and give only pH'd water....and go through the same routine again. This soil has absolutely everything in it that your plants need. We can go all the way through the grow by simply repotting when the plants become root bound in current container...even during flower. I've repotted these plants as much as a week before harvest and they never showed signs of stress from it. But as long as you keep soil in your plants that still has nutrients in it, you don't need to add nutes. Nutes are just plant food and are not the "magic" that grows a large plant. That would be lighting. It's important through the entire life of the plant, but most especially during the flower cycle. If you don't have good enough wattage for every plant you're trying to flower, you end up with underdeveloped plants and buds. If you only have enough light to flower one, then you should only flower one. Too many people put too much thought into putting chemicals into their plants and have no idea that what they should be concerned with is whether they have adequate lighting to flower the number of plants they're trying to flower. Using a high quality soil greatly reduces the need for additional chemicals being added. I'm not anti-chemical or anything and we usually start giving them at 1/4 the recommended dose about 2 weeks before they go into flower. Once they start showing buds in flower, I change over to the flower nutes and continue them until harvest at 1/4 the recommended dose. If I increase it much more than this, because the soil quality is so good, it just burns my plants. So don't put all your faith in the nutes. Get excellent grow soil and let the soil feed the plants for you. Before you do give nutes, I suggest you read up on the plant and what nutrients it needs and WHEN during it's life it needs what. The needs change as the plant matures and unless you know what the plant needs, you have no idea about what you need to give and when. But you'll figure it all out in time. TWW

14. Also that soil you bought says it's moisture trapping! Add 30% pearlite!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

15. What @BrassNwood said but add some neem and kelp meal, also lava rock is good stuff.

16. Wow. Lots of information. Thanks very much.

Currently I have them in really small planter cups (1/2 size of a solo cup probably). Forgot I had the red solo cups, but they're see-thru (not sure if this is a factor or not). I do water them when the soil is dry because my biggest fear is over watering. I guess it's better to give less water than more because I can't take the water back if they're over watered.

Wouldn't all the nutrients be in the soil (especially if I make it myself)? Also, I have a best guess as to what a few of these plants are. I'm not 100% sure of their strain though so it's difficult to determine their exact needs based on strain.

Will do. Wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing getting moisture retaining soil lol

17. if you mix a soil according to a propper recipe it should contain all the nutrients a plant needs to get to harvest, regardless of strain. cant vouch for bagged soil which you most likely will need to amend. either with bottled nutrients which you have to keep buying or organic amendments like kelp and neem which you would mix with your soil. point is, if you gonna mix amendments might as well mix the base as well and do it right.
    its worth it when you think of what you are after come harvest. the quality of your soil will have a huge impact on the quality of the end product.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I'm going to try this. What is the alfalfa pellets and rabbit chow for? Do I need to add kelp and/or neem (not even sure what these are for either lol)?

19. I also made a larger grow box yesterday and added another 23w CFL. In case you guys were curious ^^ Any tips on how I have this setup are welcomed :)

Attached Files:

20. Don't remember exactly why but there is some reason to not use those peat pots.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1