transplanting from soil to coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by northernlights4, Jun 15, 2010.

1. so im planning on transplanting my babys into some coco origional siol mix was 10 perlite 10 vermiculite 50 potting soil 20 earthworm castings and 10 peat moss wondering if i can transplant or not? any info would be great thanks:D

2. Yes, you can transplant into coco. Try to find yourself a good organic coco, and a good organic nutrient supply. You don't need to cut the coco with anything.

If your plants are in 1 gallon planters then go to 3 gallon planters.

3. they are in 4 inch clay pots right now i bought 1 gallon planters ( i think? iono i just bought what i thought would be a good planter to transplant in not too big not too small more deep than wide) and was thinkin of transpanting as soon as i see roots comin out the bottom but i see theyre starting to develop theyre second set of leaves iono if i should wait or transplant now before they get rootbound

4. You can wait. A 4" planter should get you by for the first 3 weeks of life, they won't get root bound yet. I prefer to wait until the 3rd set is pretty much completed and the fourth set is on the way before I transplant. If you transplant too early, before the roots have had enough time to hold themselves together, you can loose a lot of root mass in the transfer, stunting your plants.

1 gallon, or 3 to 4 liter pots are fine. Clay pots have kinda bad aeration and drainage for Marijuana (good for Marigolds though). They're not horrible though so I think you'll be fine. When you move up from the 1 gallon planter, look into a 3 gallon that is more wide than tall. Taking a 5 gallon plastic bag planter or smartpot and rolling the sides down works well.

With Coco you want a nice wide bed, not too deep, because if there is too much coco it can compact when going from dry to wet, sheering roots in the process.

3 gallon planters are as big as you need in coco unless the life of the plant is going to exceed 120 days. Even then, running something like CannaZym or SensiZym to break down dead root structures will allow you to run those 3 gallons for a long ass time.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Check out the Canna-us website, they have a "magazine" online with the best coco info available. Even if you don't use their nutrients you can just read about the science behind the media.

5. thats some cool info but the only reason i see wider containers to be bad for me in particular is im gonna be transplanting into the ground and i want a deeper root system so it doesnt have to compete as much with the surrounding foliage when i get my indoor setup goin i will remember that fo sho tho

6. You can go from soil to coco, just try to be gentle and get some of that soil off. We have gone anywhere from a 1/2 gallon to 15 gallon pots with very good luck. The 1/2 gallon girls went straight into 12/12 with no veg time. The size of pot is really depending upon how much veg time. Once she gets in coco then there is no transplant shock so you can replant later if needed.

A good starting point for a coco mix might be a 50/50 mix of fine coco and perlite. Personally, I am not sold on the worm casting. Coco can be such a clean grow but that stuff to me takes it a bit back towards soil. My little girl has worm castings now but the next run through the ScrOG will not. Good luck, you are going to love the coco! :hello:

7. thanks very much ms edu and ur husband have been very helpful so far im pretty sure i transplanted earlier than i should have and i didnt take any of the soil off partly because i didnt wanna damage the root ball and partly cuz i did this before reading ur post but i am making this more of a learnign experience than anything even if they are male i may still just keep them and transpant and flower just for the experience but we will see as she goes along

8. I am sure you will be good to go. The coco is just so forgiving. Ed is a wealth of knowledge about coco because every grow with it is an experiment trying new things. Life would get boring if we did not learn and then help out with what you learned. :smoke: :wave:

9. i have my plants in 8in pots with soil and want to transplant into 5 gal coco. what coco are you guys recomending for price to quality ratio. and what is the best process of getting plant ready to transplant and getting soil off roots.. is it easier wet or a little bit dryer.

10. most the coco brands are pretty much the same. You'll see slight variations with the size of the particles but for the most part it's a straight shot with any brand. I buy mine at a farm supply store, a brick that expands to 4cf is 4$. Just make sure you rinse the coco well when you expand it to wash it out.

best process to transplant is doing so with the least amont of stress to the roots. I find transplanting out of root- pruning containers (eg smartpot) is the best way because the roots are so dense you just cant harm it really. wet or dry.... all opinion- too wet water will break roots when they're too heavy, and too dry they will break when brittle. So I prefer when they are in the middle, that way I water after transplant it owrks perfect.

you don't really need to get the soil off the roots... I think that would stress your plant more than help it, but some times if the roots are dense (root bound) it's a good idea to loosen up the sides and bottom before transplant so the plant grows out nicely.

hth
    h2t