transplant or over watering?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by blaize, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Ok, first time grower here. Need to know if these girls are over watered or ready to transplant. They are about a week and a half old grown in coco coir with an inch or two perlite at the bottom. I am using General Hydroponics Flora trio plus Calimagic at 1/4 strength. I have been watering about every other day. Was doing every other plain PHd water but after research plan on nuteing every feed. Using 8 23 watt cfls mixed daytime and soft white. They are droopy and one plant has started to go sideways and one plant has yellowing on lower leaves. Thank you for reading and helping me save my girls.

Attached Files:

2. Yes they look over watered .
    I normally put the cups in a tray and then put about 3/4 of a inch of water in the tray.

Over watering .
    From a Hydroponic growers point of view my plants are sometimes in water dam near to the stem for long period of times .
    There really is no such thing of over watering a plant …
    Its more like you don't have the right drainage and not getting oxygen to the roots .
    This is why allot of soil/compost growers are adding pearl lite and growing in coco husks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Here are some better shots of the leaves.

Attached Files:

4. This is the bottom of the cups. Should I cut more holes? Like I said I am growing in coco coir with about and inch or so perlite at the bottom.

Attached Files:

5. Yes I would make sure there are plenty of holes and place the cup in a tray with about 1/2 inch to 3/4 of a inch of water in it .
    Personally I don't care to water the soil/compost from the top and rather the soil/compost absorbs the water from the bottom of the cup/grow container .

6. I cannot find any information on this way to feed on the internet. Do you have any pics that you could show me? By the way thank you so much for the advice and information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 0821180843.jpg
    You can fit a lot more in a solo cup than you think. Don't worry so much about transplanting. Looked better till my cat ate a bunch of leaves.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Seems like soil is too moist and not aerating properly..

Ur perlite is at the bottom, nice.. is their perlite mixed in your soil.. ur water seems to be having trouble getting to the perlite down below so ur soil stays super wet inside oposed to the surface.. also i made a mistake of using perlite enriched with fertz, and the shit was hurting my plants..
    Also feeding too early can definitely stunt & hurt them..

8cfl’s will do you great for vegging all those.. but when it comes to flower i feel youll need all 8 if not a couple more than just 8 placed properly around her to flower just 1 plant.

I think cfl’s are the best for keeping ur nodes close together as the light has to be close.. not too much happens.. I like it like that!!

Hope this helped!!

9. The OP is growing in coco, not soil. Coco holds 30% oxygen when saturated - more if perlite is added, and it is also inert and requires food from the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thanks for the info mick

Hey remember my post about perlite hurting my seedlings.. i just posted up another question on it can you plz check it out??

Perlite/Soil hurting seedlings??
    Perlite/Soil hurting seedlings??

11. I just switch my plants to flowering and put the netting on in my first tent , 2nd tent plants are about 3 to 4 weeks into veg .
    I will try to do some photos today if I get the chance ,, today I spray for powdery mildew .
    Actinavate leaves white crystal or white spots on the leaf's , some times what looks like powdery mildew but isn't .
    Normally it takes a few hours for the plant to dry .

feeding your plants ,
    If you are growing in compost No one knows what nutrients are already in the compost.
    Your plants are so small I wouldn't give them anything but water for a while ..
    As said I would put the cups in atray and put a half inch to 3/4 of a inch of water in the tray and let the soil/compost soak up the water .
    Make sure the PH levels are between 5.0 and 6.8 and 5.5 is perfect .
    You must maintain the ph levels to get high thc content .

Healthy plants and high THC content run hand and hand .

Personally and some might disagree but I never water the top of the soil/compost because it invites bugs and fungi/mold issues.

Honestly I switched to a aeroponic system because growing in compost wasn't working out for me .
    I am limited on the advise I can give you .

I will post some pics if I have time .

Cannabis history says Cannabis originally was plants that lived close to volcano's or volcanic ash .
    Which drains off water very quickly.

You might toss the idea around to try a couple of bubbler buckets .

I use Canna Terra products not sure what ratios you would mix it for compost ..
    But your compost should already have most of the nutrients in it already .

12. I'm growing in coco coir not soil or compost. I have PHd my water every time to between 5 and 6.

13. I am using the MG enriched perlite. What should I do? Stop using nutes and flush? Transplant? I'm getting desperate because they are not getting any better.

14. both tents are 4x8 tents
    Tent one
    [​IMG]
    tent two
    [​IMG]
    tent two
    [​IMG]

15. Can you use a Drip system, recirculating system .

16. Well, I think I figured out my problem. I am using Fox Farms Bush Doctor Coco Coir, which I did not realize was a soil based medium, plus using nutes and cal-mag so I think I have been over feeding and burned them. I am gonna flush them and stop the nutes and see what happens. I think I might transplant them in the next day or two as well.

17. I don't think that Bush Doctor Coco Coir has any soil in it at all - it's certainly not "soil based" as you claim. It contains coco coir, kelp, bat guano, and dolomite lime - no mention of soil in the description.

18. I apologize, it is a potting mix not soil. It has a lot of other ingredients is what I meant. This is what is all in it-

Coco coir +
    Perlite
    Earthworm castings
    Fossilized bat guano
    Norwegian kelp meal
    Oyster shell
    Dolomite Lime

19. They are looking better today.