Transplant good to go?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by GreeenPeace, Jun 13, 2016.

1. How long after a transplant will you know if the plant will survive? Two days ago I did this and did it in almost complete darkness to avoid stress on the plant by way of light hitting the roots. It is still standing but seems a bit on the limp side. The very bottom leaves (the round ones that first appear) are wilted and turning yellow now but the rest looks to be fine except the fact that it seems weak and is leaning over a bit.

2. always a good idea to potup to the same soil or even a little weaker

by adding perlite or clean river sand to 20-30% of pot volume

obvious some serious root damage occurred here ..

so ensure your pot is big enough for the root ball

and soil for the giving grow period

I use 1x us gallon per month( or 1x liter of soil per week)

the plant is with you.. 3 month grow = 3 us gallon pot

best to potup at the days end so she recovers over night

to continue in the morning

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. Did add some limestone gravel about 25% at the bottom of an 8" clay pot

Also put a small amount of dirt at the base to keep it from falling over and other than the 2 bottom sets of leaves the rest is still green

4. If your plant was healthy at the time of transplant...and you allowed it to get large enough TO transplant (I don't see a picture anywhere above or a link to one...so not sure what you're working with here), it shouldn't have done it any damage. It's important to leave them in the container they're in until the plant is larger than the container itself (wider/taller). It'll use water up quickly because the roots are filling the pot, so it's not hard to tell when it needs a new container actually. Trying to do this too soon will or can damage your plant if you don't know what you're doing. Unless the plant is a bit root bound, it pretty much has nothing to hold it together. If you mess up and try to do a plant that isn't ready in soil that isn't dry enough so it'll hold together, the whole thing can fall apart on you and you can get some root damage. But even then, if the plant is healthy and you go into the proper soil with it and the proper size container, 99% of the time they'll recover and come on out. Now if you take a small plant and go into a monster container with it, be prepared to wait awhile on it to adjust and build it's root system. The more soil it has to root into, the longer this can take. But until you see the plant pick up and start to put on foliage and start to use water (because it doesn't do much of either while building it's root system), then you'll know it's rooted in and moving on. Don't give water or nutes or do anything to it during this period of time. Just because you can't see what's going on, doesn't mean nothing is happening. If it's going to die, it's going to die. Sometimes they do for no apparent reason and due to nothing you've done. But learning how to do this is a process and the length is different for everyone. But you will help yourself the most by doing all the reading up on growing these plants in your setup or environment that you can because the more you know, the more it all makes sense. This plant likes and needs certain things. It likes things done certain ways. The new grower should know these "basics" before he/she even gets a plant, but few bother to look into that part of it. Go to the new grower threads and read the "sticky's" there since they contain most of the info you should know when starting a grow. Pay special attention to the watering directions, especially knowing when it's time to water because these plants need excellent drainage and don't like their roots sitting in moist conditions all the time. Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 2

5. Well said thanks for the advice. I did add some water the night of and a few days after the transplant simplybecause the soil was dry to begin with.

6. pic is best

7. Will grab one tomorrow morning if I can remember. I'm actually wondering if it's just because this terrible heat and humidity we've had this week because I don't have working air conditioning at the moment and the last 4 days have been 90+ degrees and between 50-60% humidity