Transplant from 3 to 5 gallon worth it?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Meltz, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Hi!

First time grower and loving it! I have a few questions and I'm hoping some of you can share your thoughts and help. Considering the following setup and picture, I'm wavering between staying in a three gallon pot, or transplanting into a five gallon pot, with obvious goal to maximize yield. Also curious about height as I move forward with respect to the light and wattage penetration.

2'x'2 Grow tent, 54" high
    LST + Modified Nugbucket's mainlining method
    250W HPS for veg on a 250w ballast (so cannot upgrade to 400w)
    Potted from a Gorilla Glue #4 clone on February 20th
    12 main colas at this point (from mainline, and some off-shoots)
    Currently 9 inches. and can comfortably grow another 9" before flowering (for a total height of 36")

So-
    1) Worth upgrading to a 5 gallon? Really only want to do it if it'll make big enough difference in yield...
    2) If I upgrade (or don't) am I better off topping a few more times and keeping shorter/fatter colas?

-Meltz

Attached Files:

2. You will wish you had if you decide not to; I go from eight inch to 3 gal for my two month veg routine and bump to 5 gal for flower. In an effort to squeeze in a few more faces I have attempted to flower in the smaller containers but ultimately upgraded halfway through on short hours.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I top only once with aggressive LST which creates the mainline profile you referred to.

4. Looking at that plant compared to the current pot size that it's in I would keep it in that pot for another week or so. It doesn't appear to have outgrown it yet IMO. I just went from 5 to 7 gallon for finishing but if the plant isn't large enough it just stays wet too long and doesn't get good aeration.

• Like Like x 1