Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Transferring THC from Alcohol to Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Maryed Man, Sep 5, 2012.

1. So I've been planning on making a glycerin tincture in a couple days using the heating method. This seems pretty efficient, and helpful for people who need it.

But I had a friend tell me that he does an alcohol based extraction for all his tinctures, and there's gotta be a reason why. So what are the pros and cons of the alcohol? I'm wondering if it extracts any better than the tincture would, but I'm also wondering about the transfer into the glycerin once I start to simmer off the alcohol. Will the thc bond well with the glycerin or am I going to be left with a bunch of free floating cannabinoids in my product that will get lost in my system?

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. There will often be inert plant matter that remains, that can not infuse with the glycerin... glycerin is known for being a 'clean' tincture producer, because it doesn't tend to pull in waxes or much chlorophyll even when heat and extended soaks are used, however if you use alcohol as your solvent you will get some extras that need straining unless you perform very quick washes... and if you perform quick washes, you'll be leaving behind potency!

So it's really up to you... a short or quick and cold (alcohol) wash will give you cleaner results with less post-straining of the glycerin tincture required, but it will leave more potency behind, and if you perform a long or warm wash, you're going to have to painstakingly strain your glycerin once the glandular material has infused, in order to remove the extras.

And remember that glycerin is a powerful vapor vehicle, so if you perform the transfer with liquid alcohol, rather than by evaporating first and creating a concentrate, just be sure you keep the heat-source temps low, especially towards the end (evaporating first, can help by leaving many impurities more adhered to the base of your transfer plate, while the glycerin lifts away the glandular material you're actually after).

Just some tips that decades worth of ethanol-extraction and transfer experience have earned me. :D :p

3. #3 PsychedelicSam, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012

I've been advising Maryed Man on concentrating his alcohol first before the transfer and I do believe we can get him a glycerin tincture to know and love if that's what he wants. I'm glad he's curious and asking other opinions instead of just taking my word for it.:D

4. Thanks a lot BKS and PsychedelicSam, you both have helped me a LOT in learning about tinctures. And I hate to sound like I'm repeating myself a lot here, but I think you misunderstood my intention a little bit.

At no point do I intend to strain my final product, until I jar up a small dropper jar that will hold just a few doses at a time. The rest of the tincture will remain in separate jars with the cannabis still soaking in the jars for extra extraction.

So basically my story is this: I'm looking for the best medium to aid in THC absorption, and I've so far settled with coconut oil (a change from glycerin). I also want the most extraction in the least time possible, so I plan on making a green dragon tincture by first freezing my cannabis/alcohol, then mixing the two, letting them freeze for 4 hours or so, and then evaporating off that alcohol mixture by one half. At this point I plan on mixing with coconut oil in a slow cooker at about 140-150 degrees and cooking for about 16 hours or so. After this I will STILL not strain, I will add the entire mixture to one jar to be shaken up every day for further extraction. I'll be taking a few samples from this main jar for varying potency but that's besides the point.

So to sum it up, I guess my questions are this:

Will the alcohol transfer extract the THC as much as I'd like it to?
    Will freezing the cannabis with the alcohol pose any problems to extraction?
    Will the coconut oil be a good medium to transfer the alcohol into, and them simmer off?

At the end I hope to have one 3:1 potent batch, another 3:1 potent batch with lecithin, and one 2:1 batch for daytime use. And BKS, do you have any experience with mixing caffeine in edibles/tinctures to provide an energy boost/combat the sluggish side effects of edibles?

5. I see what you're saying here, Maryed Man, but I'm afraid that extra heat is going to damage the thc for that long. Let's let BKS or other knowledgeable person answer that.

Why do the heated coconut oil? I assume it is to get the remaining potency from your pot. I always do another run with the alcohol just like the first one, then combine and then reduce. That gives you twice the alcohol at your concentrated alcohol extraction. If you're still planning to do a 3oz/qt then that's an excellent starting potency. From there you do your solvent tranfer to the coconut oil. Other than the long cooking and possible damage, you're oil is going to absorb that wet weed smell which will be even worse once you reduce off your alcohol. If you do your transfer after your strain, you're going to get a nice, coconut smelling and tasting coconut oil.

If you still want to do it you're way, I really don't see why it couldn't work well, you're just combining different methods. Let us know how it worked.

6. Hmm so even a gentle heat like that would degrade the thc then? Perhaps I should lower the time then and rely on a time based extraction then once transferred to the oil/honey? Yes I'm going to give that honey a shot, at your insistence.

7. #7 PsychedelicSam, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
    The heat is the only thing that I would be concerned with but I don't know. That is down BKS's expertise alley more than mine. Also the weed smell.

It seems you're determined to combine 2 methods, so let me tell you what I do. After my last batch I decided I wanted an "elite" personal stash so I took 2 oz of the GD and put in a small jar and added 2 tablespoons of my plant material and let it set for 2 weeks. I now have a GD so potent that all it takes is 2 drops and it's a dark green that's as good as black. So you'd definitely get it all, including all non-essential cannabanoids. So, I'd definitely suggest that you titrate your dosage so you don't keep passing out. But I would definitely do my transfer after the strain to avoid to avoid the plant matter.

I don't insist, but I was pretty persistent, wasn't I?. Thank you for giving a try.

8. See it's the whole two weeks thing I'm trying to avoid but it's seeming like that is going to be my only option if I want as potent a tincture as you say, without degrading the THC. I still will try my imagined method out, in a small run, to see the differences of different methods so I can find my own little niche. I know there's a better way to make these tinctures, we just haven't thought of it yet.

9. My way ain't bad, but there's always room for improvement. Definitely try out your idea and let us know the outcome, especially when compared to just the freezer method. Like I mentioned, my experimental bottle of "elite" tincture with the material included, is too strong to use recreationally.

Your idea is definitely worth checking out at least once. You may decide it's too strong for your needs and modify it a bit or it may be just what the doctor ordered and then you just tune it up. That's what I did-experimented until what works for me and then just streamlined it and tweaked until I got my current methods. Everything is always in flux and changes with the times. New things crop up so it's helpful to have an open mind.

10. This was actually slightly confusing, you took 2 ounces of green dragon, put it in a jar, then added two tbsp of green dragon and let it sit for 2 weeks? I feel like ya messed up a word somewhere in there.

11. Sorry. I meant 2 fluid ounces of the Dragon and 2 tablespoons of the plant material. I've just edited and hopefully it will now make as much sense if it ever will. :eek:

12. Okay that's what I thought you meant. Was it fresh plant material or plant material you used in the process?

If so then my technique may be worthwhile after all.

13. There are much quicker methods to be sure. I take mine and make hash using bubble bags and water as the solvent with ice mixed in. It is a lot less messy too.

I'll try to post up a link later to how I make mine, it's quick and easy, don't have to let it sit for two weeks and you can make it as potent as you want to.;)

14. Yea I could, coldwater hash is great and very easy to make, but I'm looking for a tincture that can be used medicinally as a painkiller.

15. That's what this is, you can make it as potent as you want to, one drop blitz or 10, up to you. Newbies should not use my strong tincture.;)

I use part alcohol, part vegetable glycerine and part coconut oil. I even add flavors made for hard tack candy, works great, just put a few drops under the tongue and you're all set.;)

I use rubbing alcohol to make it topical, then mix with coconut oil to apply to the skin. Don't eat the one with rubbing alcohol, ever, I'm sure you know this.:smoke:

16. It was the plant material leftover from the process. That was why I mentioned it - to let you know that it may be worthwhile and it certainly can't hurt, at least the no heat method. Go for it.

17. Awesome, that gives me hope that the different extraction rates/bio-availabilities of the combined liquids will make an interesting tincture. Too bad I didn't live near you, I'd love to see the real difference. Even following your recipe I don't think I'll be able to make as good a green dragon as you, it takes a time and experience to understand these processes well.

And interesting post, how well does the topical cream work?

18. You cut yourself short. Once you do it and see it actually in progress, it's easy to master. Truly. As far as the cream, it's excellent. I have a lot of body and nerve pain and it helps reduce it greatly. I can't do without it. I make some every batch and don't think I can live without it anymore. Of course, it doesn't just dissolve the pain away, at least the deep stuff, but it does ease it considerably. I use it in light layers periodically throughout the day and night. Mine is just a simple formula, but you can add other things to it like camphor or menthol for whatever additional effects you might want.

19. What's your formula for topical cream?

20. It's not real hard. After I've made my standard strength coconut oil, I take a fl oz of the infused oil and mix it with 2oz of fresh coconut oil and that gives me a good strength. A lot of people just use lower trim because it's just for a topical, but I like to use better grade because I think it works better on deeper pain.
    So, 3oz of coconut oil, 1/2-3/4 ounce of beeswax, contents from 2 or 3 Vitamin E caps, a few drops of Tangerine Oil, and about a teaspoon of aloe. I melt my beeswax slowly in the microwave and warm the oil. I then mix the beeswax and oil and stir before putting back in the microwave for 10 second bursts until its melted together. Stir it, add the Tangerine oil and let cool. Once it starts setting up, I whip it up as often as I can because the beeswax will clump. Stir in your vitamin E and aloe. If I had one, I would use a stick blender to mix it real well, but I haven't gotten one yet, so I use a whip on a mixer but it doesn't work as well as I like. But that gives me almost four ounces. Before it fully sets I pour it into a cream jar. That lasts me about a month using a lot daily.