Transfer soil to hydroponics

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PuffDaDragon, Apr 18, 2009.

1. #1 PuffDaDragon, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
    I just finished my grow room and i have a hydroponic system set up and im getting a couple plants from my friend that he has been growing in soil for about 2-3 weeks. Is it possible to transfer the plants into a hydro system without killing them? if so how would i go about doing this?

2. hey sup, i actually did this to a few of my plants and they lived through the experience

i took each plant out of its pot in the kitchen sink and very gently shook loose as much soil as i could. then when no more was falling off i started to submerge the remaining root mass in a small bucket of water and again very gently shook the roots with my hand. i kept repeating this process until all that was left was a ball of roots hanging from a stem, with barely any soil left attached to the roots at all.

i then took each plant and put them in net pots with clay pellets and stuck them in dwc buckets. the plants definitely got stressed by this and they wilted and lost some leaves, but after about 4-5 days the root mass started to grow again down into the water in the dwc buckets.

they are still in the process of recuperating but it looks like they survived

3. In regards to the grow medium do i just put the plant into the pot then put the grow medium on top gently? or should i put a small layer down first then put the plant in? Im just afraid of crushing the roots or breaking them.

4. Put a layer of medium down and slowly add it all the way around until the root mass is supported. It's also a good idea as you soak your roots to remove the soil, to soak in a Superthrive solution to help eliminate shock, plus it gives it a boost of vitamins and hormones.

5. yea i put a layer of the clay pellets in the net pot first and placed the plant inside, then gently filled up the rest of the net pot with clay pellets. as long as you're careful you can do it without severely damaging the roots.

i didnt try the superthrive during this process but thats a great idea