Transfer from soil to hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by TripDiddy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. What's up everybody, quick shout out to Maine for finally legalizing woot woot 1/30 Green Monday (I don't know I'm working on it man) and thanks to all of you, I've been lurking on here for a while for my grow (medical card) and you guys have been very helpful. But now I have something specific to ask, so I just figured I'll make the account already.

Anyways, my question is this: can I transfer clones from soil to a hydroponic system without messing them up too badly? Could I grow them in soil until they develop and then transfer?

Here's the situation I'm working with. When I buy my clones, they come in little cups of soil, holes poked for drainage and stuff, with the plant itself in a rooting cube (inclined to think RR, not sure, can find out if it matters). I've been keeping them in soil and transferring to a 2 gallon for veg, then 5 gallon for flower, doing so twice mainly for space issues. I would like to switch over to a hydroponic system, specifically the root spa system if anyone has an opinion on those or other brands, but I am worried that this may be difficult as my clones come in soil. They do have decent root development already though. It should be noted that I am very new to growing, truthfully gardening as a whole, so some of my techniques may be a little off.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance, stay high my friends.

2. Hi... I normally have my clones in the red solo cups and then transfer them into my GH Waterfarms (drip/DWC system) all the time. What I do is as follows. Let the clones get a little dry. It makes it easier to get the soil off the plants. I will then carefully rinse more of the dirt off the roots with warm water and then into the hydroton of the WF. Once in the hydroton, I will flush water through the hydroton to get more of the dirt out and then into a weak veg nute solution. The nute solution usually gets pretty dirty and I will normally do a change after a couple of days. If there is still additional dirt in the water, I will change the nute solution again after 3 or 4 days. I usually have pretty good luck doing it this way.

Good luck!

3. Just be delicate when removing the soil and they will be fine. As long as you don't break all the roots it will come back. It might stress the plant for a few days but I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1