training to grow LESS bushy?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by HerbOfPeace, Dec 20, 2012.

1. I am currently half way threw my first real medical grow for personal use. I have thrown bag seeds in the ground previously just for shit's and giggles with a couple of cfls. I had ok resuls, although I was not the slight bit impressed with the yeald. The smoke was decent but i invested too much time for little to nothing(a few grams).

This time around I have done my fare share of resurch on growing and I feel prepared to take on a decent medical grow. I picked up two bubba kush clones from my local Arizona Dispensarie. I chose to grow with hydroponics this time, deep water culture to be specific. Am about 5 weeks into my grow an I have 2 beautiful girls that are about 1 and a half weeks into flowering as well as 4 rooted clones. I have be amazed at the growth ofvthese plants over a short time.

So my question is, can I make my plants less bushy? due to limited grow space. I would stik like a decent yeald but my grow space is only 15 inches deep and about 3 and s half feet wide. I currently have my girls here and they are filling this entire space. I'm not sure if it is the strain or my lights bit I don't want this lack of spsce to effect my final yeald.

Any coments or opinions would be appreciated as I am a new grower and I still have a lot to learn. Just fyi I'm new to grass city I hope I can get some more specific information I was not able to find just browsing the site.

Happy growing and best of luck to you all :)

2. #2 hope2toke, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
    there are a few things but I'll try to guess about ways to keep plants smaller for starter's. Whether this is what you are looking for, and exactly how it works out is up to you

topping

defoliating

removing lower branches

removing side branches

waiting until after the stretch to pot up (instead of transplanting earlier) or if DWC then use a smaller container

and probably a few other things ie some chemical/gas exposure what do you think?

3. Well with this first crop I planned to just let it go as in try not to do much training and see how the plant develops. I am mostly looking for some good advise for the clones.

I really don't want to cut off to many of the branches because what I have read about bubba kush itbisnt a strain that develops a large main chola. Rather grows bud all over. So I want to maximize my yeald much like everyone else.

Just yesterday I moved my clones from my bubble cloned into identical hydro set ups and identical grow space. I have researched and seen many ways to train for more bushy plants and I totally understand why. If I had the space these girls would be tops multiple times. But I have little space and I just need a taller plant.

Is it ok to tie lower longer branches to to main stem therefore making to plant less bushy?

4. 15 inches deep doesn't sound like much to work with. The only thing i can think of is maybe scrog?

5. Hope2toke

Thanks for the advice. But how would a smaller dwc container? The way I seenifbthe more water/nutrients and air the better

6. This is how the girls look now. Almost 3 weeks into flower

[​IMG]

7. at week 3 if your canopy is filled out with tops i would begin to clean up the lower growth. anything that is not getting sufficient light is most likely taking more energy from the plant than it will end up producing, and should be removed. any growth that looks underdeveloped and struggling to keep up can go as well.